Projectile Motion - Elevated Target

In summary, there is a possibility for an analytical solution for an elevated target in projectile motion, using a combination of equations for x(t) and y(t) to eliminate time and manipulating the resulting equation using trigonometric identities. This will result in a quadratic equation in tan \theta, which can be solved to find two possible values for the launch angle. However, this method may not always be feasible for arbitrary values of the target's position and the initial velocity.
matrix0f8h
I was told by a professor that there was no analytic solution (it's a numerical methods course) when there is a elevated target. However, I can't find anything wrong with the analytic solution I came up with. Would anyone mind confirming that my formula (attached gif) for the launch angle when the initial velocity, range, target altitude are known is correct?

In addition, I understand that there are two angles for hitting the same target. One is the theta in the attached formula, the other is: PI/2 - THETA. I just don't know how to show this mathmatically. Any pointers? Is there something I am missing with the arcsin of a double angle?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Attachments

• Solution.gif
    Solution.gif
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,317
Physics news on Phys.org
matrix0f8h said:
In addition, I understand that there are two angles for hitting the same target. One is the theta in the attached formula, the other is: PI/2 - THETA. I just don't know how to show this mathmatically. Any pointers?

This is true only if [itex]x < x_{max}[/itex]. Using two equations of motion for a projectile [itex]y(\theta,t)[/itex] and [itex]x(\theta,t)[/itex]. You you can combine them to eliminate t, resulting in [itex]y(\theta,x)[/itex]. Solving this for [itex]\theta[/itex] will result in 2 values.

Actually, I'd be willing to bet that if [itex]x = x_{max}[/itex] the solution is two identical roots, [itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex].

Re the first item, I didn't check your math, but there is no reason an analytical solution isn't possible for an elevated target. In fact, my Intro Dynamics book has a problem solution for kicking a football for a field goal, the goal post cross bar being an elevated target.

Last edited:
hotvette said:
This is true only if x is less than the max x. Using two equations of motion for a projectile [itex]y(\theta,t)[/itex] and [itex]x(\theta,t)[/itex]. You you can combine them to eliminate t, resulting in [itex]y(\theta,x)[/itex]. Solving this for [itex]\theta[/itex] will result in 2 values.

I believe this is what I did in the attachment. Is it not? Yet, I only got one value... Not sure what I am missing.

Sorry it isn't in TEX. I did it in OpenOffice.org which is almost not completely TEX-like.

I have to agree with hotvette, it's certainly possible find an analytic solution. This is basic intro physics parabolic motion. Perhaps the professor was including air resistance? I don't know what he/she could have meant otherwise.

Last edited:
Re two angles, I thought you were asking in general as opposed to an elevated target. The approach I mentioned works for a non-elevated target, but I'm not sure about elevated target. Hmmm, I need to think and reason a little.

A couple of things seem strange in what you did. In (3), you eliminate [itex]\theta[/itex] from the equation only to use it later in (4) to solve for [itex]\theta[/itex]. It may be valid, I've just never seen a derivation like this before, especially having it in terms of [itex]v_{yf}[/itex]. Secondly, in (3), you choose to use only the 2nd solution.

Think of this. Take (4) and solve for t. Substitute this result into (1). Thus, you'll end up with a quatratic equation in theta. If you know x & y, there should be two solutions for theta. The only catch is the x,y position of the target must lie inside the trajectory at [itex]\theta = \frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]. Otherwise, there is only 1 solution or no solution.

I may see the numerical analysis part. If you do as I suggest, you end up with an equation with terms like [itex](cos\theta)^2[/itex] and [itex]tan\theta[/itex]. This may not be solveable analytically for aribtrary x & y.

Another thing I noticed. Your solution has a [itex]v_f[/itex] term in it. In reality, [itex]v_f[/itex] is a function of [itex]\theta[/itex]. Think about it.

Last edited:
I'm afraid some or most of what I said before is bunk. I've been playing with this for a while. Re 2 angles resulting in the same ending location (at least for non-elevated), the answer is quite simple, actually. Since we're dealing with periodic functions (sin, tan), multiple angles produce the same value of trig function. In the case of the simple trajectory, [itex]\theta_1 + \theta_2 = \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]. If [itex]\theta = \frac{\pi}{4}[/itex], then the 2 solutions are identical because [itex]\frac{\pi}{4} + \frac{\pi}{4} = \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].

If you do what I said before, that is, combine [itex]y(\theta,t)[/itex] and [itex]x(\theta,t)[/itex] into [itex]y(\theta,x)[/itex], set y = 0 (completed trajectory for non elevated target), do some manipulation and using the trig identity [itex]sin(2\theta) = 2sin\theta cos\theta[/itex] you get the followng:

[tex]sin(2\theta) = \frac{gx}{v_0^2}[/tex]

As long as the right hand side is a valid value for [itex]sin(2\theta)[/itex], there are 2 values of [itex]\theta[/itex] that satisfy the equation. The same would be true for an elevated target, but the math is much more complex (I didn't go through it all), and I don't believe there is a closed form solution, thus the need for numerical analysis.

Last edited:
hotvette said:
Another thing I noticed. Your solution has a [itex]v_f[/itex] term in it. In reality, [itex]v_f[/itex] is a function of [itex]\theta[/itex]. Think about it.
Indeed it is. I probably should have not skipped so many steps in the orignal post... [itex]v_f = \sqrt{v_0^2 - 2gy_f}[/itex]

Thanks for the replies. Still processing your later posts...

EDIT... What I said above didn't make much since... there was no theta... so you have something here... looking into it. Thanks!

Last edited:
OK, finally got it. It was right in front of my eyes all along and I didn't see it. If you combine the equations for x(t) and y(t) into one equation to eliminate t, you get something that looks like:

[tex]y = \frac{a}{cos^2 \theta} \ + \ b \ tan \theta \ \Longleftrightarrow \ y = a \ sec^2 \theta \ + \ b \ tan \theta[/tex]

Using the trig identity [itex]sec^2 = tan^2 + 1[/itex] you end up with an equation in [itex]tan \theta[/itex] and [itex]tan^2 \theta[/itex], which is a quadratic equation in [itex]tan \theta[/itex] that can be readily solved. Attached thumbnail illustrates the solution for specific values of [itex]x, y, v_0[/itex] that I chose.

The challenge question is to find the equation of the curve that bounds the valid values of x,y.

EDIT: I now follow what you did, and why you picked the second t. Everything you did was valid except getting from (4) to (5). First, there is a math mistake, plus you solve for [itex]\theta[/itex] in terms of something that is a function of [itex]\theta[/itex]. If you go from (3) to (4) w/o the last simplifying step in (3), you'll get an equation in [itex]sin \theta[/itex], [itex]cos \theta[/itex], and [itex]\sqrt{asin^2 \theta \ - \ b}[/itex]. Solving this for [itex]\theta[/itex] (looks complicated) should yield the same answer as the approach I took. All you did was solve for t first, then substitute, whereas I substituted to eliminate t, then solve for [itex]\theta[/itex]. Both should yield the same result.

Attachments

• projectile.gif
    projectile.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 657
Last edited:
Thanks for all your help. Definately helped me sort through the solution.

I ended up implementing the numerical solution (just using the brute force method through all values of theta basically root finding). But it's nice to know that I wasn't completely off base with my assertion that there was an analytical solution.

It was fun. Thanks for the challenge!:smile:

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion, where the horizontal motion is constant and the vertical motion is affected by the force of gravity.

2. What is an elevated target in projectile motion?

An elevated target in projectile motion is a target that is located at a higher position than the initial point of the projectile. This can be a building, a hill, or any other elevated object that the projectile needs to hit or pass through.

3. How does the angle of elevation affect projectile motion?

The angle of elevation refers to the angle at which the projectile is launched relative to the horizontal surface. A higher angle of elevation will result in a longer flight time and a longer horizontal distance covered by the projectile. However, if the angle is too high, the projectile may not reach the elevated target at all.

4. What factors can affect the trajectory of a projectile towards an elevated target?

The trajectory of a projectile towards an elevated target can be affected by factors such as the initial velocity, angle of elevation, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can impact the height, distance, and speed of the projectile as it travels towards the target.

5. How is the range of a projectile calculated in elevated target projectile motion?

The range of a projectile in elevated target projectile motion is calculated using the formula R = (v²sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of elevation, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula takes into account the horizontal and vertical components of the projectile's motion to determine the distance it will travel before hitting the elevated target.