Calc I - Why is it possible to combine these constants of integration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of combining separate constants of integration into a single constant in an equation. The equation in question involves the integration of two functions and the addition of constants of integration. The process is demonstrated algebraically and it is explained that this can only be done when the constants are real numbers. It is also noted that if the constants are not constants but instead non-constant functions of a variable, they cannot be added in this way.
opticaltempest
Hello,

I have the following equation

[tex]\int \!v{dv}=-{\it GM}\,\int \!{y}^{-2}{dy}\]}[/tex]

Integrating I get...

[tex]\[\frac{1}{2}v ^{2}+C _{1}=-GM\essdot\left(-\frac{1}{y }+C _{2}\right)\]}
[/tex]

Now how do I go from what I have above to this

[tex]v ^{2}=2{\it GM} \left(\frac{1}{y }\right)+C \]}[/tex]

How it is possible to combine the separate constants of integration into a single constant of integration? Do these two equations follow in logical steps or are there steps missing which would help explain? Any web sites which could help me understand why we can do this?

I'm also having problems previewing my latex? Why does it always say reload?

Also whenever after I go back to the editing box after previewing I lose all of my line breaks.
Is there any way to prevent that? I always have to copy, preview, go back and paste, then edit... Firefox problem?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Say:
a + C1 = b + C2, where a and b are variables, C1 and C2 constants of integration.

Then,

a + C1 = b + C2
a = b + (C2 - C1)
Let C = C2 - C1
a = b + C

Your explanation makes sense but I don't see how to apply it to the above equations.

[tex]\frac{1}{2}v ^{2}=-GM\left(-\frac{1}{y }+C _{2}\right)-C _{1}$}
[/tex]

Simplifying the right side of the equation gives us

[tex]\[\frac{1}{2}v ^{2}=\frac{{\it GM} }{y }-GMC _{2}-C _{1}\]}[/tex]

I'm trying to step through this algebraically to help me understand but I don't think it is helping. How can C1 and C2 be combined as a single constant from the above equation?

Last edited:
C1 and C2 are just real numbers. You just add like terms in an equation:

[tex]
\int vdv + GM\int y^{-2}dy = (\frac{1}{2}v + C_1) + (GM\cdot (-\frac{1}{y} + C_2)) = \frac{1}{2}v - \frac{GM}{y} + C_1 + GMC_2
[/tex]

Because [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]GMC_2[/itex] are real constants, you just add them up to get

[tex]
\frac{1}{2}v - \frac{GM}{y} + C
[/tex]

- Kamataat

Last edited:
What makes GMC_2 a constant?

In this problem it is a constant because G is the gravitational constant and M is the mass of the Earth.
Is that why you say the above is a constant, because you recognized the above equation?
But what if GM was let's say Z which was a variable? Is ZC_2 still a constant? Why?

Last edited:
I sort of guessed G and M are constants. Of course, I could have been wrong. My apologies for that, then.

Of course, if GM is not a constant, but is some non-constant function of a variable, then you can't add them like that.

edit: PS: You can add them b/c the derivative of a constant is zero, so it won't make a difference if there's one or two (or more) of them.

- Kamataat

Last edited:
Ok, I understand now. Thanks for taking the time to explain this problem to me :)

1. Why are constants of integration necessary in Calculus?

Constants of integration are necessary in Calculus because when we integrate a function, we are essentially finding all the possible functions whose derivative is the original function. These functions differ by a constant value, which is why we need to include a constant of integration in the final solution.

2. How do constants of integration affect the solution to a definite integral?

Constants of integration do not affect the solution to a definite integral. This is because when we evaluate a definite integral, we are finding the difference between the values of the function at the upper and lower limits of integration. The constant of integration cancels out in this process.

3. Can constants of integration be combined in any way?

Yes, constants of integration can be combined in any way as long as they are constants. This means they can be added, subtracted, multiplied, or divided by each other. However, it is important to note that the final solution should still include a constant of integration.

4. Is it possible to have multiple constants of integration in a solution?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple constants of integration in a solution. This can occur when we are integrating a function multiple times, or when we have a system of differential equations with multiple unknown constants. In these cases, each integration or equation may require its own separate constant of integration.

5. Why do we use different letters (C, K, A, etc.) for constants of integration?

The letter used for a constant of integration is arbitrary and can vary depending on the context. In some cases, a specific letter may be used to represent a specific type of constant, such as using K for a constant related to thermodynamics. Ultimately, the letter used does not affect the solution as long as it is a constant.