Speed in still water/ throwing object horizontally.

In summary, the first question involves a stone being thrown horizontally from a cliff, with an initial speed of 10 m/s, and hitting the ground 4.3 seconds later. The height of the cliff can be found by considering the components of the velocity and acceleration, and applying kinematic equations. For the second question, a swimmer crosses a river with a width of 200 m in 6 minutes 40 seconds, and is swept downstream 480 m. The question asks for the swimmer's speed in still water, which can be found by considering the component of the velocity perpendicular to the banks and applying kinematic equations. The equations still apply even though the water is still.
future_vet

Homework Statement

A stone is thrown horizontally with an initial speed of 10 m/s from the edge of a cliff. 4.3 s later the stone hits the ground. What is the height of the cliff?

A swimmer heading directly across a river 200 m wide reaches the opposite bank in 6 min 40 s. She is swept downstream 480 m. How fast can she swim in still water?

Homework Equations

The problem here is that I don't understand why some equations are used sometimes...

The Attempt at a Solution

For example, for the first question, I just calculated 43 meters, since the speed is 10 meters per second. I am aware that the speed accelerate continuously, but I don't understand which equation to use.

For the second question, it's the same thing. I found 0.5 m/s.

Thanks for explaining where I am not thinking correctly. I know that my answers are not correct (well, pretty sure)..

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to consider components of the velocities and accelerations, then apply the kinematic equations that I'm sure you know. For example, in the first case, you should split the speed [and acceleration] into two separate values, one for the vertical direction and one for the horizontal direction. Then you apply the kinematic equations to each direction separately.

Thanks!

But in the second question, the water is still... Do the equations still apply?...

future_vet said:
Thanks!

But in the second question, the water is still... Do the equations still apply?...
Not a problem!

Yes, in the second case the equations still apply. The idea behind the question is to find the component of her velocity which is perpendicular to the banks (and hence the velocity of the water), when she is swept downstream. This will be her speed in still water.

Thank you :)

future_vet said:
Thank you :)
Pleasure :smile:

1. What is the definition of speed in still water?

Speed in still water refers to the rate at which an object moves through water when there is no current or other external forces affecting its motion. It is a measure of the distance an object travels in a certain amount of time.

2. How is speed in still water different from speed in moving water?

Speed in still water is solely determined by the force and energy applied to the object, while speed in moving water is influenced by the direction and strength of the water's current. This means that an object's speed in still water will be constant, while its speed in moving water can vary.

3. How does the mass of an object affect its speed in still water?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its speed in still water. However, it can impact the amount of force needed to move the object through the water, which can indirectly affect its speed. A larger mass will require more force to overcome its inertia and move through the water at a certain speed.

4. How does throwing an object horizontally affect its speed in still water?

Throwing an object horizontally will not have an effect on its speed in still water, as the object's speed is determined by the force applied to it rather than its initial direction. However, throwing an object at an angle may cause it to travel a longer distance in still water.

5. Can an object's shape affect its speed in still water?

Yes, an object's shape can impact its speed in still water. A more aerodynamic shape may experience less resistance and therefore be able to move through the water at a higher speed. On the other hand, a more bulky or irregularly shaped object may experience more resistance and have a lower speed in still water.