Best Calculator for AP Physics: TI-89 Titanium vs TI-Nspire

• Thread starter sollinton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculators
In summary, the TI-Nspire is a newer, more powerful graphing calculator, while the TI-89 Titanium is a great calculator for pre- AP Physics applications. The HP-50 is a good mid-range calculator that is allowed on most exams, but may be less powerful than the Tinspire or the Nspire.
sollinton
I know this isn't exactly a homework question, and it may be in the wrong section, but I've looked all over the forums and could not find a better place for it, so I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

I'm looking into buying a new calculator for my AP Physics class this fall and found what seem to be two promising products.

The first is the TI-89 Titanium, which seems to be a powerful graphing calculator with pre-installed applications for AP Physics, and I thought it looked great.

However, I then found the TI-Nspire, which seems to be newer and have more functionality. Apparently the Nspire has more memory, and all sorts of things that make it seem more like a computer.

I thought the Nspire looked great and all, but the Texas Instruments website does not list the applications for it, and so I do not know if it has the power I want for advanced physics and such.

So my basic question is, what which calculator would Physics Forums suggest for use in an advanced physics course (and future college science and math courses)?

Thank you for your help and again I apologize if this is in the wrong section or has already been posted.

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally three opinions around here
Texas ti89
HP50
Don't bother - just get a regular scientific calculator and use Mathcad/Maple/Mathematica on your PC for anything else.

You don't really need a fancy calcualtor, and you probably want to check what is allowed in your exams.

IMO I wouldn't buy a graphing calculator for a few reasons:
- Very expensive
- May make you lazy and may prevent you from learning curve sketching techniques
- You won't be allowed to use them on exams most likely
- Far less powerful than programs such as Maple or Mathematica
- There is plenty of free curve sketching programs available on the internet

The TINspire CAS handheld has all the functionality of the TI-89. TI has a physics site where they are building activities for the physics classroom. tiphysics.com. I have been using the TINpsire CAS this last year teaching my chemistry and physics classes. It allows you the functionality of Mathcad/Derive/Mathematica in your hand.

sollinton said:
I know this isn't exactly a homework question, and it may be in the wrong section, but I've looked all over the forums and could not find a better place for it, so I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

I'm looking into buying a new calculator for my AP Physics class this fall and found what seem to be two promising products.

The first is the TI-89 Titanium, which seems to be a powerful graphing calculator with pre-installed applications for AP Physics, and I thought it looked great.

However, I then found the TI-Nspire, which seems to be newer and have more functionality. Apparently the Nspire has more memory, and all sorts of things that make it seem more like a computer.

I thought the Nspire looked great and all, but the Texas Instruments website does not list the applications for it, and so I do not know if it has the power I want for advanced physics and such.

So my basic question is, what which calculator would Physics Forums suggest for use in an advanced physics course (and future college science and math courses)?

Thank you for your help and again I apologize if this is in the wrong section or has already been posted.

nicksauce said:
IMO I wouldn't buy a graphing calculator for a few reasons:
- Very expensive
- May make you lazy and may prevent you from learning curve sketching techniques
- You won't be allowed to use them on exams most likely
- Far less powerful than programs such as Maple or Mathematica
- There is plenty of free curve sketching programs available on the internet

Really, most of math professors I had did not seem to realize that high-end graphing calculators have been Mathematica-light computers for the past eight years. I think they believe that they just work like scientific calculators with graphing applications.

In fact, the only math teacher I had which specifically banned calculators with CAS was my high school calculus teacher. High School teachers seem to be much more knowledgeable about what calculators are capable of, because they tend to use them in their curriculum, whereas university math professors tend to use good old pencil and paper, Mathematica, and the occasional scientific calculator when they want a numeric answer.

But to answer the original question, I think the Tinspire is based on the TI-84 and the Tinsipre CAS is based on the TI-89. The HP-50 seems a little harder to use, but with better hardware and math and physics capabilities out of the box. I think that they are all allowed on standardized tests, though not necessarily in math class (Calculus I is heavy on graph sketching, so graphing calculators are often banned from tests).

vociferous said:
I think they believe that they just work like scientific calculators with graphing applications.
Guilty - I hadn't realized the TI-CAS was quite so advanced.
When you actaully work in physics/engineering you usually get by with a 20year old HP

Iv got a TI-89(non-titanium) that I use on a daily basis at work and it serves me well. There are some things that are just does faster on the calculator than in Matlab, for example basic algebra. Some things that would take me hours to do by hand this thing does 5 minutes. Although I got to say that Nspire looks pretty sweet. Which ever one you get make sure you get it off ebay or something. $120 for a calculator is ridiculous. And the 3D graphing on the TI-89 is not that great. Its good for tracing points but that's about it.

i have a TI-84 plus. i bought it for around 130 euros. very handy to check for functions and check graphs

"Don't bother - just get a regular scientific calculator and use Mathcad/Maple/Mathematica on your PC for anything else."

I agree with this ^^ You don't need a fancy calculator at all.

I do have the HP 50G, but that is mostly a toy. Its not really useful for real course work or research.

What is the difference between the TI-89 Titanium and the TI-Nspire calculators?

The TI-89 Titanium and the TI-Nspire calculators are both highly advanced scientific calculators. However, the TI-89 Titanium is more focused on mathematical functions and graphing, while the TI-Nspire offers more features for data collection and analysis, as well as 3D graphing capabilities.

Which calculator is better for AP Physics?

Both the TI-89 Titanium and the TI-Nspire are suitable for AP Physics. However, the TI-Nspire may be more beneficial for its ability to graph 3D functions and analyze data, which may be useful in certain AP Physics topics.

Which calculator has a steeper learning curve?

The TI-89 Titanium has a steeper learning curve compared to the TI-Nspire. This is because the TI-89 Titanium has a more complex interface and requires a deeper understanding of mathematical functions. The TI-Nspire, on the other hand, has a more intuitive interface and offers helpful tutorials for new users.

Do these calculators have similar features?

Both the TI-89 Titanium and the TI-Nspire have similar features, such as the ability to solve equations, graph functions, and perform statistical calculations. However, the TI-Nspire has additional features such as 3D graphing and data analysis, while the TI-89 Titanium has a larger library of built-in functions.

Which calculator is more expensive?

The TI-Nspire is generally more expensive than the TI-89 Titanium. However, the price difference may vary depending on the specific model and any additional accessories or software included. It is recommended to compare prices and features before making a purchase.