Centroid of the region bounded by the curve

In summary: Since the given function is y = f(x), you can use the substitution y = g(x) to get the x- and y-coordinates of the centroid.The centroid is (M_y/A), (M_x/A).
johnq2k7
centroid of the region bounded by the curve...need help!

Find the centroid of the region bounded by the curve x=2-y^2 and the y-axis:

my work shown:

therefore if A= 2 times the integral of sqrt(2-x) dx

is the M_x equal to the integral of (2-x) dx from 0 to 2?

and the M_y equal to the integral of (2)(x)(sqrt(2-x) dx from 0 to 2?

therefore x-coordinate of the centroid is M_y/A

and the y-coordinate of the centroid is M_x/A

therefore centroid is [(M/y/A),(M_x/A)]

is this correct?

then the x-coordinate of the centroid is (M_y / A)

i've been told the centroid of the y-coord. is zero... .however i dont' believe that is correct.. how do i determine the centroid and are M_x and M_y values correct... because if they are ... isn't the centroid simply x--> M_y/A and y--> M_x/A... please help me with this problem!

Physics news on Phys.org

Why not work out your integrals on y instead of x, -2<=y<=+2?

Then just work the problem out and see what you get without worrying in advance what it is supposed to be.

Dr.D said:
Why not work out your integrals on y instead of x, -2<=y<=+2?

Then just work the problem out and see what you get without worrying in advance what it is supposed to be.

i'm confused with what u mean.. do u mean integrate the equation in terms of x instead of y to determine the centroid.. how do i go about doing that...

isn't my A(y) value correct, i just need help with my values for M_y, M_x assuming my A(y) is correct therefore i could find the centroid as M_y/A,M_x/A for co-ord. of (x,y)

please help

The given boundary function is x = f(y), so you can calculate the area and the moments as integrals that involve things like
A = int(x) dy from -2 to 2, etc.

1. What is a centroid?

A centroid is the point at the center of mass of a geometric figure or region. It is the point where all the mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated.

2. How is the centroid of a region bounded by a curve calculated?

The centroid of a region bounded by a curve can be calculated using the formula:

x̄ = (1/A) ∫ x*f(x) dx

ȳ = (1/A) ∫ 0 to y f(x)dx

where A is the area of the region and f(x) is the equation of the curve.

3. What is the significance of the centroid in geometry?

The centroid of a figure or region is important in geometry because it divides the figure into two equal parts, known as the moments of inertia. It also helps in finding the center of mass of an object, which is useful in understanding its stability and balance.

4. Can the centroid be outside the region bounded by the curve?

No, the centroid must always lie within the region bounded by the curve. This is because the centroid is calculated by taking into account the distribution of mass within the region, and it is not possible for the mass to be located outside the region.

5. How is the centroid related to the center of gravity?

The centroid and the center of gravity are closely related, but they are not the same. The centroid is the point where the mass of the object is evenly distributed, while the center of gravity is the point where the force of gravity acting on the object can be considered to be concentrated. In most cases, the centroid and the center of gravity coincide, but this is not always the case.