Distance Learning Physics Course with Lab Component?

In summary, an online physics class with lab is possible, but it requires a purchase of a "lab kit" and the class must be from an accredited institution.
justingd131
Hello, I'm a recent college graduate and I am applying to grad school. In order to be permanently accepted into grad school I must have a physics class with lab. While the school does offer a physics course with lab, the university is located an hour and fifteen from the grad school and I don't want to have to drive back and forth 3 days a week. I was wondering if anyone knew of any schools that offer an online physics class with lab? Basically all I need is an intro to physics or above course. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
justingd131 said:
Hello, I'm a recent college graduate and I am applying to grad school. In order to be permanently accepted into grad school I must have a physics class with lab. While the school does offer a physics course with lab, the university is located an hour and fifteen from the grad school and I don't want to have to drive back and forth 3 days a week. I was wondering if anyone knew of any schools that offer an online physics class with lab? Basically all I need is an intro to physics or above course. Thanks!

That's rather impossible, don't you think? The whole purpose of having a lab is actually to DO the experiment yourself. As advanced as the internet is, a "virtual" lab is no where near being the same as actually doing the experiment. I certainly haven't seen a physics course with a laboratory session allowing students to skip over the lab.

Zz.

Well that was my first reaction. After doing some research I found articles pertaining to online physics with lab. From what I understood you have to purchase a "lab kit" with the textbook in order to complete the labs. However, the article didn't give any information as to what schools offer the course.

Are these from an accredited institution and having an accredited program in physics?

Zz.

For what it's worth, Michigan State offers an http://online-contined.msu.edu/Courses.asp?Subject=PHY" , but I can't personally vouch for it. MSU only offers the class, not the lab section. I tend to agree with ZapperZ...doing a lab portion online will most likely not earn you any respect from the university you're trying to transfer the credit to.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some things you could probably do online for a physics lab, but not all of it.

In our anatomy courses, we have an online lab that uses a lot of photographs, and another department does it by requiring students do take an actual practical exam in person with a few hours of review on campus. In that way, they mostly study online, but still have to show that they know the material as well as the traditional students...they do have to come to campus for the exams and reviews, but not the entire course, which works well for those who live some distance away and can arrange a few days of travel, just not a few days a week of travel.

The issue here is that a physics lab, if it is properly done, is supposed to not only present the physics, but also give students skills. These skills involve not only physical ability to actually use various instruments, but also mental skills to actually figure out the best way to do a particular measurement or task. Such skills can't be taught simply by reading something off a textbook or a computer screen, but instead, must be acquired. If not, that's no point in having a lab session at all.

In fact, in my philosophy of such lab session, I even consider learning the physics as being secondary. I'd rather the students do the measurement, and then figure out for themselves the relationships between the variables that they are measuring, without even bothering to tell them in advance what the physics behind it is.

Zz.

Are you looking for calc based physics for engineers and scientists or jus the algebra/trig based?

For calc based
Here is a link http://online.northcarolina.edu/course.php?id=12700

Herkimer county community college in NY offer the algebra/trig physics online

There are several that offer algebra based physics online in NY state. Go here:

http://sln.suny.edu/index.html

One of these schools in NY state also offer a calc based physics online for engineers and scientists but i don't think for this fall 09 semester.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an RA college that provides Physics I & II w/lab via distance education.

http://www.ocean.edu/academics/distance_learning/DistanceLearningCoursesforFall2009.htm

Good luck!

1. What is a distance learning physics course with lab component?

A distance learning physics course with lab component is a course that allows students to learn the concepts of physics remotely, usually through online lectures and resources. However, it also includes a lab component where students perform experiments and collect data, which is then analyzed and interpreted.

2. How does the lab component work in a distance learning physics course?

The lab component in a distance learning physics course typically involves virtual simulations, remote-controlled experiments, or at-home experiments with kits provided by the course. Students may also be required to submit lab reports or recordings of their experiments for assessment.

3. What are the benefits of taking a distance learning physics course with lab component?

Some benefits of taking a distance learning physics course with lab component include the flexibility of learning from anywhere, the ability to work at your own pace, and the opportunity to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills through hands-on experiments.

4. Are distance learning physics courses with lab component as effective as traditional in-person courses?

Studies have shown that distance learning physics courses with lab component can be just as effective as traditional in-person courses. However, it is important to choose a reputable and accredited course and ensure that the lab component is designed to meet the same learning outcomes as a traditional course.

5. What equipment or materials are needed for the lab component in a distance learning physics course?

The required equipment or materials will vary depending on the specific course and experiments. Some courses may provide virtual simulations or only require basic household items, while others may require specific lab equipment. It is important to check the course requirements beforehand to ensure you have access to the necessary materials.