Why is Matter Visible Despite Empty Space?

• Thread starter saln1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter
In summary, the majority of an atom's mass is concentrated in the nucleus, leaving the rest as empty space. However, matter is visible because we see via photons which interact with the electron shell, not the nucleus. This is also why we cannot move our hand through a solid table, as we physically interact with the electron shells, not the nucleus. The same concept applies to not being able to push a 2x4 through a basketball, as like forces repel each other and the electrons in the basketball's shell are what we physically interact with. The electrons form an orbital, not an orbit, and it is this cloud that determines the probability of finding an electron in a certain place. As for why we cannot physically push through objects
saln1
If over 99.9% of an atom's mass is concentrated in the nucleus, the rest being "empty", why is matter (simply composed of atoms) clearly visible, rather than being largely invisible?

Also, why can't I move my hand through a solid table? Where is this empty space constituting the majority of the table?

Might be a silly question, but it's just a random thought that struck me :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
saln1 said:
If over 99.9% of an atom's mass is concentrated in the nucleus, the rest being "empty", why is matter (simply composed of atoms) clearly visible, rather than being largely invisible?
We see via photons. Photons interact with the electron shell, not with the nucleus.

saln1 said:
Also, why can't I move my hand through a solid table? Where is this empty space constituting the majority of the table?
Same thing. We physically interact with the electron shells, not with the nucleus.

Answer this question: why can I not push a 2x4 through a basketball, even though the basketball is mostly empty space?

DaveC426913 said:
We see via photons. Photons interact with the electron shell, not with the nucleus.

Same thing. We physically interact with the electron shells, not with the nucleus.

Answer this question: why can I not push a 2x4 through a basketball, even though the basketball is mostly empty space?

Like forces repel each other! Nothing ever touches, it only comes close to touching!

DaveC426913 said:
We physically interact with the electron shells

Can you explain physically why this is? Isn't the shell just composed of electrons orbiting the nucleus, rather than being an impenetrable solid?

DaveC426913 said:

As above

The orbit analogy is inept and obsolete.

saln1 said:
Can you explain physically why this is? Isn't the shell just composed of electrons orbiting the nucleus, rather than being an impenetrable solid?

As above
The electrons form an orbital - a cloud; this is not the same as an orbit. An orbital is simply a function that defines the probability of finding an elelctron in a certain place if we go to look for it. It says absolutely nothing about what the electron is doing when we are not looking for it.

While not really imprenetrable, the electrons are what the photons interact with. it is also what the electron orbitals in the atoms of your hand interact with when you try to touch something.

1. Why can we see objects if there is mostly empty space between them?

The reason why we can see objects is because atoms, which make up all matter, are not truly "solid" objects. They are mostly made up of empty space with tiny particles called protons and neutrons in the center, surrounded by even smaller particles called electrons. When light hits an object, the electrons in its atoms absorb and re-emit the light, allowing us to see the object.

2. How is light able to pass through empty space?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation, which is a type of energy that can travel through space. Unlike sound waves, which need a medium to travel through, light can travel through empty space because it does not need particles to carry it.

3. If there is so much empty space between atoms, why do objects feel solid to the touch?

Even though atoms are mostly empty space, they also have a strong force that holds their particles together. This force, called the electromagnetic force, is what gives matter its solid appearance and makes objects feel solid to the touch.

4. Can empty space be truly empty?

According to our current understanding of physics, empty space is not truly empty. It is filled with particles that constantly pop in and out of existence, called virtual particles. These particles are too small to be detected, but their effects can be seen in certain phenomena, such as the Casimir effect.

5. Does the amount of empty space affect the visibility of matter?

No, the amount of empty space does not affect the visibility of matter. As long as there are atoms present, they will interact with light and allow us to see objects, regardless of the amount of empty space between them. However, the distance between objects can affect how they appear to us, such as in the case of objects appearing smaller when they are further away.