Exploring Lines and Planes in 3-D Space

• Thread starter spoc21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lines
In summary: The conditions that the line not be parallel to the x or y-axis are that the lines a and b must be unique. That is, for every point on the line, there must be a unique combination of a and b that satisfies the equation.
spoc21
EDIT: Sorry I made a spelling error in the title: its supposed to be Planes

Homework Statement

Recall that there are three coordinates planes in 3-space. A line in R3 is parallel to xy-plane, but not to any of the axes. Explain what this tells you about parametric and symmetric equations in R3. Support your answer using examples.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if the line is parallel to the xy plane, it will have the direction vector:
[x,y,0]

To find the parametric equation, we need to pick a fixed point on the line
(x1, y1, z1)

Parametric equation are:
(note: t is the scalar)

x =x1+xt
y =y1+yt
z =z1

I am not sure what I need to explain here, any help is much appreciated

Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
spoc21 said:

Homework Statement

Recall that there are three coordinates planes in 3-space. A line in R3 is parallel to xy-plane, but not to any of the axes. Explain what this tells you about parametric and symmetric equations in R3. Support your answer using examples.

Homework Equations

N/A

I know that if the line is parallel to the xy plane, it will have the direction vector:
[x,y,0]
It's better to represent this as, for example, <A, B, 0>.
spoc21 said:
(x1, y1, z1)

Parametric equation are:

x =x1+xt
y =y1+yt
z =z1
In your parametric equations above, to find x, you need to know x1 and x, and similarly for y. Instead of x and y on the right sides, use constants, such as A and B.
spoc21 said:
I am not sure what I need to explain here, any help is much appreciated

Thanks! :smile:

In the parametric equations, the only obvious thing I see is that the z coordinate is constant.

Where are your symmetric equations?

spoc21 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

N/A

[x,y,0]

It would be better to write [a,b ,0]. You use x and y for the coordinate variables.

(x1, y1, z1)

Parametric equation are:

x =x1+xt
y =y1+yt
z =z1

Right there is why. The x in xt isn't the same as the x on the left. Write it as

x =x1+ at
y =y1+ bt
z =z1

You are on the right track. You have taken care of the condition that the line is parallel to the xy plane. It also says the line is not parallel to any coordinate axes. What additional facts about the parameterization does that give you?

[edit] I see mark44 answered at the same time with similar comments

Thanks Mark 44, and LCKurtz
Parametric:
x =x1+at
y =y1+bt
z =z1

Symmetric equation:
t = (x-x1)/a
t = (y - y1)/b
0 = z-z1

So basically, the z value is constant? I came to that conclusion too, but what about it not being parallel to any of the axis? I am fine with the former, but very confused with the latter..Could you please elaborate a little.
Thank you.

If the line were parallel to one of the axes, only one equation would have a term with a t parameter. For example, if the line happened to be parallel to the x-axis, its parametric equations would be:
x = x1 + at
y = y1
z = z1

Mark44 said:
If the line were parallel to one of the axes, only one equation would have a term with a t parameter. For example, if the line happened to be parallel to the x-axis, its parametric equations would be:
x = x1 + at
y = y1
z = z1

so basically, my equations are correct, as they demonstrate that the line is not parallel to any other axis..and could you please explain what you think this result means..

Thanks!

The condition that the line not be parallel to the x or y-axis gives conditions that a and b must satisfy (or not satisfy). You need to qualify your answers with those conditions. What are they?

LCKurtz said:
The condition that the line not be parallel to the x or y-axis gives conditions that a and b must satisfy (or not satisfy). You need to qualify your answers with those conditions. What are they?

Thank you,
ok, so the following are the parametric equations:
x = x1
y = y1
z = z1

Symmetric equations:

x-x1
y-y1
z-z1

Is this correct?, and what exactly does it mean in this context..

Thanks LCKurtz!

spoc21 said:
Thank you,
ok, so the following are the parametric equations:
x = x1
y = y1
z = z1
No, this is just a single point. The parametric equations are as you had them in post 4.
spoc21 said:
Symmetric equations:
No, these aren't even equations.
spoc21 said:
x-x1
y-y1
z-z1

Is this correct?, and what exactly does it mean in this context..

Thanks LCKurtz!

Thanks Mark 44!
what would this result mean?, other than that the z is constant.. are there any connections between this, and the other two planes?

In x= x1+ at, y= y1+ bt, z= z1, saying that the line is NOT parallel to the x and y coordinate axes just says that neither a nor b is 0.

I notice that you still have not found the "Symmetric Equations". Just solve each of the parametric equations for the parameter, t, and set them equal.

In general if x= At+ p, y= Bt+ q, z= Ct+ r, then
[tex]t= \frac{x- p}{A}= \frac{y- q}{B}= \frac{z- r}{C}[/tex]

If anyone of those coefficients is 0, just do not include that fraction. Since, here, z is a constant, the "symmetric equations" will just set a fraction in x equal to a fraction in y.

Thanks!
So, for the example, could I use the following:

Point A (1,-5,0)
Point B (3,-9,0)

Direction vector:

[3-1,-9-(-5),0]
= [2,-4,0]

So therefore the parametric equation would be:

[x,y,z] = (1,-5,0) + t[2,-4,0]

x = 1 + 2t
y = -5-4t
z = 0

Is my method correct?
Thank you :smile:

LCKurtz said:

HallsofIvy said:
In x= x1+ at, y= y1+ bt, z= z1, saying that the line is NOT parallel to the x and y coordinate axes just says that neither a nor b is 0.

HallsofIvy, you're obviously one of the old-timers around here, but I don't understand why you don't let the OP come to that conclusion either by himself or with leading questions.

1. What is the importance of exploring lines and planes in 3-D space?

Exploring lines and planes in 3-D space is important in various fields of science, such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It allows us to understand and analyze complex geometric structures and patterns in our physical world.

2. How do you define a line in 3-D space?

A line in 3-D space can be defined as a straight path that extends infinitely in both directions. It can be represented by an equation or parametric equations, and is characterized by its slope and y-intercept.

3. What are the different types of planes in 3-D space?

There are three main types of planes in 3-D space: horizontal, vertical, and oblique. A horizontal plane is parallel to the x-y plane, a vertical plane is parallel to the x-z plane, and an oblique plane is neither parallel nor perpendicular to any of the coordinate planes.

4. How do you find the distance between two parallel planes in 3-D space?

The distance between two parallel planes can be found by taking the absolute value of the difference between the constant terms in their equations (ax + by + cz + d = 0). This distance represents the shortest distance between any two points on the two planes.

5. What is the equation of a line that is perpendicular to a given plane in 3-D space?

The equation of a line that is perpendicular to a given plane can be found using the normal vector of the plane. The normal vector is perpendicular to the plane and can be used as the direction vector for the line. The equation of the line can then be written as (x, y, z) = (x0, y0, z0) + t(a, b, c), where (x0, y0, z0) is a point on the line and (a, b, c) is the normal vector of the plane.