Choosing Mechanical Engineering

In summary: That would give you some real world experience and let you see if you really want to do this.In summary, the senior in high school is looking into the field of Mechanical Engineering and is unsure of what minors to select because of the school transfer. His original decision was to pursue a 5-year program that combined Physics with Engineering, but after reconsidering he is leaning towards a more structured program. He is seeking feedback on his options and views. Crazyisraelie suggests a minor in Materials Science / Chemistry, and another in another engineering concentration.
Cameltosis
Hello,

I am a senior in high school and I have been looking into the field of Mechanical Engineering.

I am in a somewhat frustrating position because the program I was confident was right for me now seems somewhat lackluster.

My interest lies in Mechanical Engineering because I am intrigued how things work, but the particular field that I wish to end up working in is rather... unique. I want to design weapons and body armor for the United States military. That may seem a ridiculous notion to some but I see it as a wonderful opportunity to help and 'thank' our soldiers for defending our freedom. (Please do not assume that I am so naïve as to have tunnel vision in this regard. I understand that I may not end up doing that particular job; it is just something that interests me. I also understand that my interests and opportunities may change in the future, but my heart is set into the field of engineering. I am confident that my love for it will not change.)

The original program I was looking at was a 5-year program that coupled Physics with Engineering. The program is detailed here: http://www.phy.ilstu.edu/programs/engineering_physics/index.shtml . However, after more consideration it seems less of an appealing option. It seems like a somewhat unstable program and I feel I may be better off going through a more structured one.

As I said before, my wish it to major in Mechanical Engineering, but I am not entirely sure what I should select as my minor(s). The choice of minors also changes my view on the Engineering Physics program because of the school transfer.

Should I decide to choose another school such as Northern Illinois (I assume that the reader has made the connection that I live in Illinois by this point), there would seem to be a few viable options for minors. Physics is an obvious one, and a minor in something along the line of Materials Science / Chemistry seems like a solid option as well.

Although it may not tie directly into my selected major, I would like to take a foreign language, but depending on my course schedule / workload this may not be a realistic option. Depending on the school, program, and primary minor I choose, I may be able to double minor to include a foreign language. I do not plan on taking a foreign language as a primary minor. (By primary minor I mean as a single minor coupled with a major.)

So, now that I have explained my situation, I am looking for feedback on my options and my views. I would love some advice about what type of minors might suit me best as a Mechanical Engineering major, and in particular, I would like feedback on the idea of taking a foreign language as a minor. Also, I would love to hear of some other types of jobs associated with Mechanical Engineering that you may think I would be interested in.

Thanks a lot for reading and responding, and I look forward to reading the feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why you would want an engineering physics program if you want to go into mechanical engineering. You're much better off going into a school that has a proper mechanical engineering program.

Also unless you have personal interest in a foreign language you're better off without a minor in one. A minor in another engineering concentration would be much more useful. Like material science or electrical instead of chemistry or maybe physics. (Although physics would be good.)

Yeah, I'm leaning away from the Engineering Physics program, I'm not really sure why I thought it was such a great idea... I suppose I let the prospect of having two degrees lead me astray.

Thanks a lot for the input. =D

I could be wrong, but it seems if you want to work for the military doing engineering, a foreign language wouldn't help you much. You'll be working almost certainly in the US, with Americans (for sensitive positions, citizenship is a requirement).

The suggestions crazyisraelie made for a minor are good.

Cameltosis said:
Yeah, I'm leaning away from the Engineering Physics program, I'm not really sure why I thought it was such a great idea... I suppose I let the prospect of having two degrees lead me astray.

Thanks a lot for the input. =D

Also why invest the time in two bachelors? When you can get a bachelors and a masters? That would look much better in terms of employment. Plus you could have a much greater chance of working for the government on weapons or weapons systems. I also wouldn't say that's a far-fetched dream, you just have to work for it. My biggest suggestion would be to get summer internships with the government or civilian contracting companies that deal directly with that.

1. Why should I choose mechanical engineering as a career?

Mechanical engineering is a diverse and highly rewarding field that offers a wide range of career opportunities. With a degree in mechanical engineering, you will have the skills and knowledge to design, develop, and manufacture mechanical systems and devices used in various industries such as automotive, aerospace, and renewable energy. This field also offers the opportunity to work on cutting-edge technologies and innovative projects that have a significant impact on society.

2. What skills are needed to succeed in mechanical engineering?

To succeed in mechanical engineering, you will need a strong foundation in math, physics, and computer-aided design. Additionally, problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills are crucial in this field. Attention to detail, creativity, and the ability to work in a team are also important for a successful career in mechanical engineering.

3. Is mechanical engineering a challenging major?

Yes, mechanical engineering is a challenging major, but it is also very rewarding. The coursework is rigorous and requires a strong understanding of mathematical and scientific principles. However, with dedication and hard work, you can overcome the challenges and develop the skills necessary to excel in this field.

4. What job opportunities are available for mechanical engineers?

Mechanical engineers have a variety of job opportunities in different industries, including manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, energy, and robotics. Some common job titles for mechanical engineers include design engineer, project engineer, research and development engineer, and quality engineer. With the increasing demand for sustainable and energy-efficient solutions, there is also a growing need for mechanical engineers in the field of renewable energy.

5. What are some potential drawbacks of pursuing a career in mechanical engineering?

One potential drawback of a career in mechanical engineering is the highly competitive job market. With a large number of graduates and limited job openings, securing a job may be challenging. Additionally, the workload in this field can be demanding, and you may have to work long hours to meet project deadlines. However, these challenges can be overcome with hard work, dedication, and a passion for the field.