Create Heat Through Repeated Collision

In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to generate heat by colliding two metals, without the use of chemicals. The person is looking for temperatures up to 400 degrees F and suggests filling a container with metal shavings and a solid metal ball, then shaking it. Other solutions and warnings are discussed, ultimately leading to the suggestion of seeking advice in a chemistry forum.
g124v17y
Does anyone know of a metal and catalyst or two metals that when collide create a great amount of heat? For example, iron filled hand warmers get warmer when you shake them, but I am looking for temperatures enough to bake with, so up to about 400 degrees F. I am thinking about filling a container with shavings of metal x and putting a solid ball of metal y in with it, and shaking the container to create the heat desired.

Possible?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi g124, welcome to the board. It sounds like you want to have heat generated by the mechanical action of shaking or impact as opposed to a chemical means. If that's the case, then there is no way to do what you're asking for and there's a simple reason why. For a device that doesn't change chemical composition and only has the energy input from a person shaking their hands, all the energy to heat the mass has to come from the energy input which is the shaking motion. That shaking motion doesn't represent any more heat than what you get rubbing your hands together, so 400 F isn't going to happen without a hell of a lot of hand shaking.

I see what you are saying, but I was hoping that a chemical reaction between two metals could be used to create heat. Are there no chemicals that when collide create heat? Thermite? Common hand warmers? The shaking would just be the kinetic catalyst to the chemical reaction, much like spinning the steel wheel against the stationary flint in a lighter.

I'm sure there are but I'm not a chemist.

g124v17y said:
I see what you are saying, but I was hoping that a chemical reaction between two metals could be used to create heat. Are there no chemicals that when collide create heat? Thermite? Common hand warmers? The shaking would just be the kinetic catalyst to the chemical reaction, much like spinning the steel wheel against the stationary flint in a lighter.

A chemical reaction producing heat isn't the same as two metals colliding and producing heat.

I think you mean you want two metals that react when they come in contact and generate the required heat.

Don't even attempt thermite. It's far hotter than you need and extremely dangerous - not to mention the speed of the reaction.

You'd be better off making a camp fire.

Yes! that's exactly what I mean... should i post this in a chemistry forum? lol

That might be a better place for it.

What is "Create Heat Through Repeated Collision"?

"Create Heat Through Repeated Collision" is a scientific concept that explains how heat can be generated through the repeated collision of particles. Essentially, when particles collide with each other, their kinetic energy is converted into thermal energy, causing an increase in temperature.

How does "Create Heat Through Repeated Collision" work?

The process of "Create Heat Through Repeated Collision" works through the transfer of kinetic energy between particles. When particles collide, their kinetic energy is either transferred to or absorbed by other particles, causing them to move faster and increase in temperature.

What are some examples of "Create Heat Through Repeated Collision"?

Examples of "Create Heat Through Repeated Collision" can be seen in everyday life. For instance, when you rub your hands together, the repeated collision of your hands' particles generates heat. Additionally, the heating of metals through hammering or friction is also a result of this concept.

What factors affect the amount of heat generated through "Create Heat Through Repeated Collision"?

Several factors can affect the amount of heat generated through "Create Heat Through Repeated Collision." These include the speed and mass of the particles, the frequency and intensity of collisions, and the type of material the particles are made of.

What are the practical applications of "Create Heat Through Repeated Collision"?

The concept of "Create Heat Through Repeated Collision" has numerous practical applications, such as in the heating of food through microwaves, the generation of electricity through steam turbines, and the functioning of car engines. It is also used in industrial processes such as welding and metal forging.