Help simplifying an equation - , PLEASE

• Thread starter LucasGB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplifying
In summary, the conversation is about simplifying the equation V = (a(1+a^n)-Q(1+a))/((a^n)*(1+a)) and finding a way to eliminate the divisor. The equation is from a mathematical model of behavior and the conversation also mentions trying a link for solving equations.
LucasGB
Help simplifying an equation - URGENT, PLEASE!

Hello folks,

I'm trying to simplify the following equation:

V = (a(1+a^n)-Q(1+a))/((a^n)*(1+a))

I really need to eliminate the divisor.

Thanks in advance,

Estêvão

Mathematics news on Phys.org

LucasGB said:
Hello folks,

I'm trying to simplify the following equation:

V = (a(1+a^n)-Q(1+a))/((a^n)*(1+a))

I really need to eliminate the divisor.

Thanks in advance,

Estêvão

[tex]\frac{a(1+a^n)-Q(1+a)}{a^n(1+a)}[/tex]

Can you say what this equation is from? Is it for schoolwork?

berkeman said:
[tex]\frac{a(1+a^n)-Q(1+a)}{a^n(1+a)}[/tex]

Can you say what this equation is from? Is it for schoolwork?

No, it's from a mathematical model of behavior. I'm an experimental psychologist.

I tried this. Not sure if it helps. The following link will allow you to try some more things.
Equation v=(a*(1+a^n)-q*(1+a))/((a^n)*(1+a)) solved for q
q = -((a^(n+1)+a^n)*v-a^(n+1)-a)/(a+1)

http://www.numberempire.com/equationsolver.php

crash1011 said:
I tried this. Not sure if it helps. The following link will allow you to try some more things.
Equation v=(a*(1+a^n)-q*(1+a))/((a^n)*(1+a)) solved for q
q = -((a^(n+1)+a^n)*v-a^(n+1)-a)/(a+1)

http://www.numberempire.com/equationsolver.php

That's kind of spammy for a first post, but I'll leave it posted in case it helps with the question.

1. How do I simplify an equation?

To simplify an equation, you need to follow a few steps. First, combine like terms by adding or subtracting them. Then, use the distributive property to multiply any remaining terms. Next, combine any like terms again. Finally, check for any common factors and divide them out. This will give you a simplified version of the original equation.

2. Can you simplify an equation with variables?

Yes, you can simplify an equation with variables. The same steps mentioned above apply, but you will need to pay attention to the variables and their exponents. Make sure to combine like terms with the same variables and their exponents, and use the power rule to multiply or divide terms with the same base.

3. What is the purpose of simplifying an equation?

The purpose of simplifying an equation is to make it easier to understand and work with. It also helps to find the solution or value of the variable more easily. Simplifying an equation can also help to identify patterns and relationships between different variables.

4. Is there a specific order to simplify an equation?

Yes, there is a specific order to simplify an equation. The general rule is to first combine like terms, then use the distributive property, and finally, check for any common factors. However, the order may vary depending on the complexity of the equation.

5. Are there any shortcuts for simplifying an equation?

There are a few shortcuts that can be used to simplify certain types of equations. For example, if you have a quadratic equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c, you can use the quadratic formula to find the roots. Additionally, you can also use the FOIL method to multiply binomials and simplify the resulting expression.