Reinforced concrete design help

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with an upcoming exam on reinforced concrete. They have received some assistance from another user and have posted their attempt at a solution, but are looking for feedback and guidance on the remaining steps. Another user, James, mentions having a similar assignment for their own class and expresses interest in seeing the full calculations. Both students are discussing their plans for solving the problem and are thanking the other user in advance for their help.
benl87

Homework Statement

Hi there,

I have an exam coming up regarding reinforced concrete, the question is to be similar to the one in the attached brief. It shows all the variables and given data. I apologise as I have already posted this question elsewhere but I don't think I laid it out properly or showed enough working of my own. My teached has been little help to me and I am hoping someone can comment on my work and tell me if I'm on the right track. Big thanks to Studiot who has helped me significantly so far.

Homework Equations

The loads are to be considered using limit state theory (i.e. Design Loads = 1.2G (dead load) + 1.5Q (live load))

I have assumed the structure (refer brief for layout) will be several portal frames without the need for a slab. I have been told to solve the frame using the moment distribution method which I have attempted to a point in the attachment.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached my attempt at a solution to the post and hope it makes some sense.
My plan of attack following where I am now up to is as follows:

-Solve shear force for the beam
-Solve negative moments (wl²/10), positive moments (wl²/11 in end spans, wl²/16 in interior spans) and transverse design shears (at face of interior support, at mid-span and end supports)
-Confirm beam resists encastre beam deflection (wl³/192EI for point loads and wl^4/384EI for udls)
-Calculate column size using moment about beam/column connection and vertical axial load transmitted from beam
-Calculate footing sizes considering ground bearing pressure, bending at the base, shear at the base and punching shear.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Attachments

• DESIGN BRIEF.doc
    65.5 KB · Views: 195
  • DESIGN ATTEMPT.pdf
    213.1 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
I have the exact same concrete assignment for my structs theory 2 class except the span is 16m. everything else is work for word!

would love your full calcs...

cheers

James

1. What is reinforced concrete design?

Reinforced concrete design is a process of designing and analyzing structures made of concrete and steel reinforcements. It involves determining the appropriate size and placement of reinforcements to ensure the structural integrity and safety of the concrete structure.

2. What are the advantages of using reinforced concrete in construction?

Reinforced concrete offers several advantages, including high strength and durability, fire resistance, and versatility in design. It also allows for faster construction and is cost-effective compared to other building materials.

3. What are the basic principles of reinforced concrete design?

The basic principles of reinforced concrete design include the understanding of structural mechanics, determination of loads and forces, selection of appropriate materials, and proper detailing of reinforcements according to the structural requirements.

4. What are the different types of reinforcements used in reinforced concrete design?

The most commonly used reinforcements in reinforced concrete design are steel bars, also known as rebars, and steel mesh. Other types of reinforcements include fibers, prestressed strands, and composite materials like FRP (fiber-reinforced polymer).

5. How do I ensure the safety and durability of a reinforced concrete structure?

To ensure the safety and durability of a reinforced concrete structure, it is important to follow the building codes and standards, conduct thorough structural analysis and design, use high-quality materials, and perform regular maintenance and inspections.