Sum of a finite exponential series

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation \sum_{n=-N}^{N}e^{-j \omega n} = e^{-j\omega N} \frac{1-e^{-j \omega (2N+1)}}{1 - e^{-j\omega}} and how it can be rewritten using the formula for a finite geometric series. The original equation is based on the more general equation \sum_{n=0}^{N}ar^n=a\frac{1-r^{N+1}}{1-r}, and involves a change of variable to account for the starting point of the sum being n=-N instead of n=0. It is then explained that the original equation was rewritten incorrectly due to not applying
ElfenKiller

Homework Statement

Given is [itex]\sum_{n=-N}^{N}e^{-j \omega n} = e^{-j\omega N} \frac{1-e^{-j \omega (2N+1)}}{1 - e^{-j\omega}}[/itex]. I do not see how you can rewrite it like that.

Homework Equations

Sum of a finite geometric series: [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{N}r^n=\frac{1-r^{N+1}}{1-r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Or is the above result based on this more general equation: [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{N}ar^n=a\frac{1-r^{N+1}}{1-r}[/itex]? Although I think the equation in (2) is just this equation for a=1, right?

So, I know how to get to the 2nd term in (1), i.e., [itex]\frac{1-e^{-j \omega (2N+1)}}{1 - e^{-j\omega}}[/itex], but I have no idea why it is multiplied by the term [itex]e^{-j\omega N}[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you notice that the sum you are trying to compute actually starts from n=-N and not n=0? I think you can get the answer you want by making a change of variable and then using the geometric series equation you have identified.

Last edited:
danago said:
Did you notice that the sum you are trying to compute actually starts from n=-N and not n=0? I think you can get the answer you want by making a change of variable and then using the geometric series equation have identified.

Yes, I've noticed that it starts there. That's why I thought it can be rewritten as [itex]\frac{1−e^{-j\omega(2N+1)}}{1−e^{−jω}}[/itex], but the solution states that this fraction is multiplied by [itex]e^{−jωN}[/itex].

Are you sure that the exponential term in front of the fraction does have a negative sign? I just tried doing the working and ended up with a positive sign, i.e.:

[tex]\sum^{N}_{n=-N} e^{-j\omega n} = e^{j\omega N} \frac{1-e^{-j\omega(2N+1)}}{1-e^{-j\omega}}[/tex]

I did it by making the substitution [itex]\phi=n+N[/itex]. I will check my working again.

EDIT: I have checked over my working and have convinced myself that the negative should not be there. It is late here so i could easily have made a mistake though :tongue:

Last edited:
danago said:
Are you sure that the exponential term in front of the fraction does have a negative sign? I just tried doing the working and ended up with a positive sign, i.e.:

[tex]\sum^{N}_{n=-N} e^{-j\omega n} = e^{j\omega N} \frac{1-e^{-j\omega(2N+1)}}{1-e^{-j\omega}}[/tex]

I did it by making the substitution [itex]\phi=n+N[/itex]. I will check my working again.

EDIT: I have checked over my working and have convinced myself that the negative should not be there. It is late here so i could easily have made a mistake though :tongue:

Okay, thank you. For me, it is not about the sign in the exponent. I do not see why we have to multiply by the term in front of the fraction. But I think I rewrote the equation in the wrong way. Can you give me your steps?

You have transformed the upper and lower limits of the sum, however you have not applied the same transformation to the variable n in the summand.

If [itex]\phi=n+N[/itex], then the new limits of the sum will be [itex]\phi=0[/itex] and [itex]\phi=2N[/itex]. You must then also replace the 'n' in the summand with [itex]n=\phi-N[/itex]. If you do this then you will get the right answer.

EDIT:
The transformed sum will be:

[tex]\sum^{2N}_{\phi=0} e^{-j\omega (\phi-N)} = e^{j\omega N} \frac{1-e^{-j\omega(2N+1)}}{1-e^{-j\omega}}[/tex]

Maybe it will be easier to understand if we look at why what you did isn't quite correct.

[tex]\sum^{N}_{n=-N} e^{n} = e^{-N}+e^{-N+1}+...+1+e^1+...+e^{N-1}+e^N[/tex]

[tex]\sum^{2N}_{n=0} e^{n} = 1+e^{1}+...+e^{2N-1}+e^{2N}[/tex]

See how they are not the same?

Ah, I see the problem now. Thanks!

ElfenKiller said:
Ah, I see the problem now. Thanks!

No problem! :smile:

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of a finite exponential series?

The formula for finding the sum of a finite exponential series is S = a(1 - rn) / (1 - r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms.

2. How do I know if a series is finite?

A series is finite if it has a limited number of terms. This means that there is a specific number of terms that can be added together to get the sum. In contrast, an infinite series has an unlimited number of terms.

3. Can a finite exponential series have a negative common ratio?

Yes, a finite exponential series can have a negative common ratio. The common ratio represents the value by which each term is multiplied to get the next term in the series. It can be positive, negative, or zero.

4. What is the difference between a finite and an infinite exponential series?

A finite exponential series has a limited number of terms, while an infinite exponential series has an unlimited number of terms. This means that a finite series will eventually end, while an infinite series will never have an ending point.

5. Can the sum of a finite exponential series be negative?

Yes, the sum of a finite exponential series can be negative. The sum depends on the values of the first term, common ratio, and number of terms. If these values result in a negative sum, then the sum will be negative.