Buoyancy force of a hot-air balloon

In summary, the balloon can carry a maximum of 37321 mol of passengers when the temperature of the gas is 108 degrees Celsius.
smeiste

Homework Statement

The envelope and basket of a hot-air balloon have combined mass of 331 kg. The spherical envelope of the balloon has a radius of 10 m when fully inflated. What is the maximum mass of the passengers the balloon can carry when the temperature of the gas is 108 o C? Use M(air) = 29 g/mol. Assume that the surrounding air is at 25 o C and is treated as an ideal gas.

Homework Equations

Fbuoyancy = ρVg (density times volume times acceleration due to gravity)

The Attempt at a Solution

Not entirely sure if a buoyant force is acting here, but it makes sense as that's what we're learning.
Attempt:
Volume at 25 degrees = 4/3πr^3 = 4188 m^3

(101330Pa)(4188m^3) = n (8.314)(298K)
n = 171317 moles

(171317mol - n hotair) = (171317mol)(298K)/(381K)
n hotair = 37321 mol

171317 - 37321 = 133995 mol

(133995mol/m^3)(0.029kg/mol) = 3885 kg/m^3

Now assuming that is the density, I was trying to plug that into the buoyancy formula and calculate the force. However my force ends up way too big. The correct answer in the end should be 751 kg. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi smeiste,
I can not follow your work...

smeiste said:
Volume at 25 degrees = 4/3πr^3 = 4188 m^3

(101330Pa)(4188m^3) = n (8.314)(298K)
n = 171317 moles

(171317mol - n hotair) = (171317mol)(298K)/(381K)
n hotair = 37321 mol

171317 - 37321 = 133995 mol

(133995mol/m^3)(0.029kg/mol) = 3885 kg/m^3

Could you please explain what you calculated?What are n and n hotair?

smeiste said:
133995mol/m^3)(0.029kg/mol) = 3885 kg/m^3
Now assuming that is the density, I was trying to plug that into the buoyancy formula and calculate the force. However my force ends up way too big. The correct answer in the end should be 751 kg. Any help is appreciated!

What density did you use when calculating the buoyant force?

ehild

umm n is the number of moles. n hot air is the number of moles in the balloon at 108 degrees Celsius. I'm not entirely sure what exactly I did haha. and I used the density I calculated 3885 kg/m^3. I probably did it all wrong

It is not sure you did it wrong, try to explain.

smeiste said:
umm n is the number of moles.
Number of moles of what?

smeiste said:
and I used the density I calculated 3885 kg/m^3. I probably did it all wrong

Yes but the density of what? OK, air, but inside the balloon or outside? At what temperature?

ehild

Last edited:
i honestly have no idea what moles I calculated.. There was a similar question only it wanted the temperature inside the balloon and I tried to do a similar thing. I don't really understand what density I calculated either.

The balloon rises or at least it does not fall down so its weight must be balanced by the buoyant force: The weight of the whole balloon with the gas inside and with the load must be balanced by the weight of the air displaced.
The volume of the air inside the balloon is the same 4000pi/3 m3 as the volume of the air displaced, but the temperature of the air in the balloon is 381 K and that of the displaced air is 298 K. The same amount of air consist of less molecules inside the balloon than outside. You calculated the number of the displaced moles - that was n, and the number of the moles inside the balloon that was n(hotair). Multiplying n(hotair) with 0.029 kg/mol gives the mass of the gas inside the balloon; multiplying n by the same 0.029 kg/mol gives the mass of air displaced.
Write out the equation for the balance of the weights.

ehild

ohh i see. I just went too far with the problem haha. Thank you!

1. What is buoyancy force and how does it relate to hot-air balloons?

Buoyancy force is the upward force exerted by a fluid (such as air) on an object immersed in it. In the case of hot-air balloons, the buoyancy force is what allows the balloon to rise and stay afloat in the air.

2. How does the temperature of the air in the hot-air balloon affect the buoyancy force?

The buoyancy force of a hot-air balloon is directly related to the temperature of the air inside the balloon. As the air inside the balloon is heated, it becomes less dense and therefore more buoyant, allowing the balloon to rise. On the other hand, if the air cools, the balloon will start to descend.

3. What factors besides temperature can affect the buoyancy force of a hot-air balloon?

The buoyancy force of a hot-air balloon can also be affected by the weight of the balloon and the weight of the payload (such as passengers and equipment) inside the balloon. The size and shape of the balloon can also impact the buoyancy force.

4. How is the buoyancy force of a hot-air balloon calculated?

The buoyancy force of a hot-air balloon is calculated using the Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This means that the buoyancy force of a hot-air balloon is equal to the weight of the air it displaces, which is determined by the volume of the balloon and the density of the air.

5. Can the buoyancy force of a hot-air balloon be controlled?

Yes, the buoyancy force of a hot-air balloon can be controlled by adjusting the temperature of the air inside the balloon. If the balloon needs to descend, the air can be cooled to decrease the buoyancy force. If the balloon needs to rise, the air can be heated to increase the buoyancy force. The weight of the payload can also be adjusted to help control the buoyancy force.