Technical Classes for Engineering

In summary, the difference in difficulty between foundational calculus and physics classes and technical ECE classes is normal, and you are likely suited for ECE despite finding the technical classes tougher.
paul2211
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if there's supposed to be a big jump between my foundational calculus and physics classes versus the technical ECE classes...

I found the calculus and physics to be super easy, and I could basically follow the professor's train of thought during the lecture. For my technical classes however, I usually sit there with my mouth open during the whole time. The only reason I go to my lectures now is to know what the prof emphasized so I know what to study afterwards.

So is this normal? Are technical classes tougher, or am I more suited to pursue a math or physics degree? I am a good student with a 3.9 so far, but the technical classes seem very tough. I asked many people in that class, and all of them have no clue of what's going on.

Physics news on Phys.org
For harder classes you should read material before coming to class, use lectures as a review to what you have read and discuss any questions, and review the material again after class using reading materials and class notes and make connections.

paul2211 said:
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if there's supposed to be a big jump between my foundational calculus and physics classes versus the technical ECE classes...

I found the calculus and physics to be super easy, and I could basically follow the professor's train of thought during the lecture. For my technical classes however, I usually sit there with my mouth open during the whole time. The only reason I go to my lectures now is to know what the prof emphasized so I know what to study afterwards.

So is this normal? Are technical classes tougher, or am I more suited to pursue a math or physics degree? I am a good student with a 3.9 so far, but the technical classes seem very tough. I asked many people in that class, and all of them have no clue of what's going on.

If you are getting good grades in your technical classes, and the other students in those classes also find them tough, you are probably suited just fine for ECE. I also found the foundational classes easier than many EE classes. I think sometimes people like to talk about how hard foundational calculus, physics, and chemistry are because they are seen as "weed out" classes. Yes, they weed out students who are not suited for science and engineering, but a good engineering student should be able to cope with them just fine, and may even find them easy, like you.

What is the purpose of taking technical classes for engineering?

The purpose of taking technical classes for engineering is to gain knowledge and skills in specific areas of engineering that are essential for a successful career in the field. These classes provide students with a strong foundation in theoretical concepts and practical applications, preparing them for real-world challenges in their future careers.

What topics are typically covered in technical classes for engineering?

Technical classes for engineering cover a wide range of topics such as mathematics, physics, mechanics, materials science, computer programming, electronics, and design. These classes are designed to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of the principles and methods used in various engineering disciplines.

Are technical classes for engineering difficult?

Technical classes for engineering can be challenging, as they require a strong understanding of mathematical and scientific principles. However, with dedication and hard work, students can excel in these classes and develop the necessary skills to become successful engineers.

What are the benefits of taking technical classes for engineering?

The benefits of taking technical classes for engineering include gaining a deeper understanding of engineering principles, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and preparing for a successful career in the field. These classes also provide hands-on experience with tools and technologies used in the engineering industry.

Can technical classes for engineering be taken online?

Yes, many technical classes for engineering are available online, providing students with the flexibility to learn at their own pace. However, some classes may require hands-on laboratory work, which may need to be completed in person. It is important to check the specific requirements of each class before enrolling in an online course.