The ambiguous question came to my last week exam

• Thread starter abrowaqas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the conversation discusses a question in a math exam that asks to show that a function f(x) = x^3 can also be written as f(a,b,c) = a+b+c. However, this statement does not make sense as the function f only takes one argument, not three. The conversation also mentions that this question appeared in a recruitment exam for Pakistan and provides a link to the exam paper. The conversation concludes with the statement that the question is still non-sense and cannot be taken seriously.
abrowaqas

Homework Statement

If f(x) = x^3,
show that
f(a,b,c) = a+b+c

Homework Equations

I have given exam last week. and i am still searching for this question .. what this is about. is it from Tensor coordinate transformation or some numerical analysis involve here.

kindly somebody please help to solve or give idea to this question.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
abrowaqas said:

Homework Statement

If f(x) = x^3,
show that
f(a,b,c) = a+b+c

Homework Equations

I have given exam last week. and i am still searching for this question .. what this is about. is it from Tensor coordinate transformation or some numerical analysis involve here.

kindly somebody please help to solve or give idea to this question.

The Attempt at a Solution

As stated here, the question doesn't make sense. Your function f takes a single argument, so you could evaluate f(a), or f(b), or f(c), but not f(a, b, c).

But this question came in final Exam ... It has no error as paper setter claimed ..

How it will be solved ?
Anybody kindly help to solve this question

If this is the full problem statement as given, it has no solution because it doesn't make any sense. What is the definition of f(a,b,c) supposed to be?

Here you go:

Given a function f:ℝ → ℝ

f(x) := x3

f(a, b, c) := a + b + c

where x, a, b, c [itex]\in[/itex] ℝ

QED by trivialization.

lol now it's formal

I think all members are not taking this question seriously..

well this question appeared in Pakistan's superior examination for recruitment in March 2012.

this is the link of that paper..

http://www.cssforum.com.pk/css-past-papers/css-2012-past-papers/61352-someone-please-load-app-maths-paper.html

it is Paper II and question No. 8(a)..

kindly check ..
and then put funny remarks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to be serious about non-sense. And it is still non-sense. However you define "f(x)" that gives you NO information about "f(a, b, c)". They can't be the same function.

1. What is an ambiguous question?

An ambiguous question is a question that can be interpreted in multiple ways, leading to confusion or uncertainty about its intended meaning.

2. How can an ambiguous question affect an exam?

An ambiguous question on an exam can cause confusion and frustration for students, potentially leading to incorrect answers and lower grades.

3. How can a student handle an ambiguous question on an exam?

A student can handle an ambiguous question by carefully reading and re-reading the question, looking for clues or context to help determine the intended meaning. If unsure, it's always best to ask the professor for clarification.

4. Can an ambiguous question be intentional on an exam?

Yes, an ambiguous question can sometimes be intentional on an exam. This can be a way for the professor to test critical thinking skills, as the student must decipher the intended meaning and provide a well-reasoned answer.

5. How can professors avoid creating ambiguous questions on exams?

Professors can avoid creating ambiguous questions by carefully reviewing and editing their exam questions, making sure they are clear and concise. They can also ask a colleague or teaching assistant to review the questions for any potential ambiguity.