Sugestions to solve this equation

• Thread starter pedro_ani
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses methods for finding solutions to the equation y'' + (b'/b)y' - (a^2/b^2)y = 0, where a and b are constants or functions. The experts suggest using standard methods and transforming the equation to a standard form to obtain a general solution. They also discuss the importance of ensuring the validity of the steps taken in solving the equation. In the end, a substitution is suggested which simplifies the process of finding solutions.
pedro_ani
Any sugestions on how to find the solutions to this equation?[itex]y'' +\frac{b'}{b} y' - \frac{a^2}{b^2}y=0[/itex]

where [itex]a[/itex] is a constant

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that b is a constant as well. That's a pretty standard homogeneous linear equation; just use the standard methods (can you write out its characteristic equation?).

No, [itex]b[/itex] is a function, if it were a constant its derivative would be zero and the term with [itex]y'[/itex] would disappear

You can obtain a lot of solutions by setting b(x) = Axn and solving for y. That won't give you a general solution though.

rewrite

[itex]by''+b'y'-\frac{a^2}{b}y=0[/itex]

to the standard form:

[itex]z''=-c^2(t)z[/itex],

with

[itex]c(t)=-\frac{2a + b'(t)}{2b}[/itex]

the general solution of the transformed equation is then

[itex]z=Asin(cx)+Bcos(cx)[/itex]

Then get the solution of y by transforming back:
[itex]y=z e^{\int{\frac{b'}{2b}dx}} = z\frac{b'}{2b}[/itex]

[itex]y=(A\sin(cx)+B\cos(cx))\frac{b'}{2b}[/itex]

That's of course, assuming a,b are such that all steps are valid

bigfooted said:
[itex]y=(A\sin(cx)+B\cos(cx))\frac{b'}{2b}[/itex]
Looks to me that if you substitute that in the original equation there'll be an unbalanced b''' term.

Oops, you're right, I was thinking too simple! The transformation to standard form does not lead to an expression that can be easily solved by a ricatti equation.

Actually, maple gave the following:

[itex]y=A\sinh(\int -\frac{a}{b(x)}dx) + B\cosh(\int -\frac{a}{b(x)}dx)[/itex]

hope this helps a bit...

That suggests the substitution

[itex] t =∫(a/b(x)) dx [/itex]

which works wonders :).

1. How can I solve this equation?

There are several methods for solving equations, such as substitution, elimination, and graphing. Choose the method that works best for the specific equation and follow the steps carefully.

2. What do I do if there are variables on both sides of the equation?

If there are variables on both sides of the equation, you can use the properties of equality to move the variables to one side and the constants to the other side. Then, solve for the remaining variable.

3. Can I check my solution to make sure it is correct?

Yes, it is always a good idea to check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation. If both sides of the equation are equal, then your solution is correct.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should solve the equation?

There is no specific order in which you must solve an equation, but it is important to follow the rules of algebra and perform the same operation on both sides of the equation in order to maintain equality.

5. What should I do if there are fractions or decimals in the equation?

If the equation contains fractions or decimals, you can eliminate them by multiplying both sides of the equation by the least common denominator (LCD). This will result in a new equation with whole numbers, which can be solved using the methods mentioned in question 1.