Is There a Way to Reverse Substitution in Finding Zeroes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the intersections of the complex functions f(z)=ez and g(z)=z. The person notices that if these functions are set equal to each other, you get ez=z, which can be rewritten as z=ln(z). This leads to the question of whether there is a way to reverse the substitution and go from i(z)=ez-ln(z) back to h(z)=ez-z. It is mentioned that the Lambert W function is related to this problem and the original problem is stated more clearly as proving that the system of f(z)=ez and g(z)=ln(z) has the same solutions as the system of f(z)=ez and h(z)=z.
pierce15
Hi guys... I'm probably missing something pretty basic here but I can't seem to figure this out. I was working on a problem recently: for the complex functions f(z)=ez and g(z)=z, find their intersections. This post is not about the problem, it is about something I noticed while tackling it (incorrectly).

Anyways, here's what I noticed: If you set these functions equal to each other, you get

ez=z

So, naturally:

z=ln(z)

From here I saw that a basic substitution was applicable, so the equation can be rewritten:

ez=ln(z)

Basically, what I have shown is that the function h(z)=ez-z has the same zeroes as the function i(z)=ez-ln(z). Now here's what's troubling me: what if the original problem that I gave you was to find the zeroes of i(z)? Originally, we obtained i(z) from h(z) by using a substitution, but is there some way that we can go in reverse from i(z) to h(z) using a "reverse substitution"? I'm sorry if this is rather unclear. Is there anything fundamental that I am missing?

Thanks a lot

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can do, pretty much any whacky thing you want because everything you do starts from the assumption that z is a real number such that [itex]e^z= z[/itex] and there is NO such number.

HallsofIvy said:
You can do, pretty much any whacky thing you want because everything you do starts from the assumption that z is a real number such that [itex]e^z= z[/itex] and there is NO such number.

Note that we are working with complex functions. By the way, I did find an answer to this problem, right now I am just thinking about reversing the substitution

pwsnafu said:
This is related to the Lambert W function.

pwnsnafu, like I said, I already solved the equation using the labert w function. Please read my first post carefully.

I guess this is kind of unclear. Here is the problem stated more clearly:

Prove that the system of f(z)=ez and g(z)=ln(z) has the same solutions as the system of f(z)=ez and h(z)=z

1. What is "reversing substitution" in chemistry?

Reversing substitution is a chemical reaction in which one atom or group of atoms is replaced by another atom or group of atoms, and then the process is reversed to regenerate the original atom or group of atoms.

2. How does "reversing substitution" differ from regular substitution reactions?

In a regular substitution reaction, the substituted atom or group of atoms is permanently replaced by the new atom or group of atoms. In reversing substitution, the substituted atom or group of atoms is only temporarily replaced and can be regenerated.

3. What is the purpose of "reversing substitution" in chemistry?

"Reversing substitution" is often used in organic synthesis to introduce temporary functional groups that can later be removed to reveal the original molecule. It can also be used in biochemical reactions to control the activity of enzymes or proteins.

4. What are some examples of "reversing substitution" reactions?

One example is the use of protecting groups in organic synthesis. A functional group on a molecule is temporarily replaced with a protecting group, and then the original functional group is regenerated by reversing the substitution. Another example is the use of reversible inhibitors in enzyme kinetics, where the inhibitor binds to the enzyme temporarily and can be removed to restore enzyme activity.

5. Are there any limitations to using "reversing substitution" reactions?

Yes, there are limitations to using "reversing substitution" reactions. The temporary functional groups or inhibitors used must be stable enough to withstand the reaction conditions, but also be easily removable to regenerate the original molecule. It also requires careful control and understanding of reaction kinetics to ensure successful regeneration of the original molecule.