FORTRAN in linuxread file problems

• Fortran
  • Thread starter jelanier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File Fortran
In summary, a user is experiencing an EOF error when running a FORTRAN program on a Linux machine. They have tried specifying the complete path to the input file and using the STATUS = 'NEW' option, but the error persists. Another user suggests checking for empty input files and using the STATUS = 'old' option. Finally, the user discovers that the issue is caused by the way different compilers handle CR LF, and adding a $D,$A at the end of the file resolves the issue.
jelanier
I wrote a simple FORTRAN program to show my read problem. This works fine in windows. On the Linux machine I always get this eof error when I open a file and read. This means that every program I have written doesn't work :) The error is line 12 EOF. What is the problem? (I am using GFORTRAN in linux)

program read_write

implicit none
!reads data from a file called input.dat
integer :: i
real a(10) !single dimension array
real b(10)
open(10,file='input.dat')

do i = 1,10
read(10,*) a(i) !this is line 12
b(i) = a(i)**1.3
end do

close(10)

open(12,file='output.dat')
do i = 1,10
write (12,*) a(i),b(i)
end do

close(12)

end program read_write

oh, the input file is simply:

Thanks,

Jim

Technology news on Phys.org
The program may be looking for input.dat in a different directory (folder) from where it actually is. Try specifying the complete path to the file.

jtbell said:
The program may be looking for input.dat in a different directory (folder) from where it actually is. Try specifying the complete path to the file.

Nice try, but did not fix it. Same error. BTW I have everything in the same directory.

Jim

Is output.dat a new file or one which already exists?

If it is new, I would add STATUS = 'NEW' to the open command.

SteamKing said:
Is output.dat a new file or one which already exists?

If it is new, I would add STATUS = 'NEW' to the open command.

The output file is fine. If I internally specify the input data it will always create a new output file.

IOW..I can always write files, I just can't read files.

When you do
Code:
open(10,file='input.dat')
if the file input.dat doesn't exist in the directory where Fortran expected to find it, it will create a new empty file. Reading from that will (obviosuly) give you an EOF error.

Do a search of your file system for "input.dat" files and delete any empty (zero length) ones that should't be there.

Then change the statement to
Code:
open(10,file='input.dat',status='old')
That will fail if Fortran it can't find the "real" input.dat file.

Usually you don't need the "status" option for an output file, because you want to overwrite an existing file if it already exists, or create a new one if it doesn't exist, and that's what happens by default.

I found a solution. This Linux GFORTRAN compiler handles files differently than the g77 or g95 for windows.
I added a $D,$A (CR,LF) at the end of the file. It works now.

FWIW..I am using a Raspberry Pi with Debian.

Thanks everyone.

Jim

I seem to recall a problem like this. I don't remember if dos2unix/unix2dos kind of thing had something to do with it...but it certainly had something to do with the end-of-file character being right after the last entry...so, if you went to the very end and press <enter> and re-saved the file, the problem goes away.

For example, if the original file looked like this:
12.3EOL
23.4EOL
34.5EOF
If wouldn't work, but if it looked like this:
12.3EOL
23.4EOL
34.5EOL
EOF
Then, if would work.

I noticed that such condition could happen depending depending on the editor that you are using to enter the data; for example, if I use Nedit and type the data in and leave the EOF right after the last entry, Nedit automatically increases the number of line in the file and moves the EOF by itself to the next line; but, if I use something like Notepad++, it leaves the data the way I typed it.

my 2 cents.

It's so long since I've seen a text editor that let you create a file with an "unterminated" last line, I forgot about that problem!

But hey, one of the design goals of Unix was NOT to protect people from their own stupidity - not "what you see is what you get" but "what you got was all you deserved" :devil:

Thanks for the reply. I have seen this before with different compilers. They all seem to handle CR LF differently. A few test programs were run and the solution was found.

Thanks again,

Jim

gsal said:
I seem to recall a problem like this. I don't remember if dos2unix/unix2dos kind of thing had something to do with it...but it certainly had something to do with the end-of-file character being right after the last entry...so, if you went to the very end and press <enter> and re-saved the file, the problem goes away.

For example, if the original file looked like this:
12.3EOL
23.4EOL
34.5EOF
If wouldn't work, but if it looked like this:
12.3EOL
23.4EOL
34.5EOL
EOF
Then, if would work.

I noticed that such condition could happen depending depending on the editor that you are using to enter the data; for example, if I use Nedit and type the data in and leave the EOF right after the last entry, Nedit automatically increases the number of line in the file and moves the EOF by itself to the next line; but, if I use something like Notepad++, it leaves the data the way I typed it.

my 2 cents.

AlephZero said:
It's so long since I've seen a text editor that let you create a file with an "unterminated" last line, I forgot about that problem!

But hey, one of the design goals of Unix was NOT to protect people from their own stupidity - not "what you see is what you get" but "what you got was all you deserved" :devil:

No problem! I am writing a compiler that compiles "what you meant to do" hehe

Thanks,

Jim

jelanier said:
Thanks for the reply. I have seen this before with different compilers. They all seem to handle CR LF differently. A few test programs were run and the solution was found.
Operating systems handle ends of lines differently. IIRC, Windows adds a <CR> <LF> pair at the end of a line, while Unix and Linux add only a <CR> character.

Mark44 said:
Operating systems handle ends of lines differently. IIRC, Windows adds a <CR> <LF> pair at the end of a line, while Unix and Linux add only a <CR> character.

That has not been my experience. The linux text editor I use only places a LF ($0A).

I saved the file with no "enter" at the end of the last line, and again with enter at the end.

The one with no enter, has nothing after the last character. The one with "enter" has only a LF ($0A) after the last character.

see attachment. (I used Leafpad in Debian Linux for this test)

Thanks,

Jim

Attachments

• files.jpg
    files.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 464
As people develop their own editors, they can do whatever they want regardless of operating system and/or cater to both; in particular, if they are developing a multi-platform text editor...all you have to do is go to the settings and pick how you want your lines terminated: Windows or Unix style.

1. How do I read a file in FORTRAN on Linux?

To read a file in FORTRAN on Linux, you can use the OPEN statement followed by the file name and access mode, such as READ or WRITE. Once the file is opened, you can use the READ statement to read data from the file into your program.

2. Why am I getting an error when trying to read a file in FORTRAN on Linux?

There can be several reasons for this error, such as incorrect file path or name, incorrect access mode, or the file may not exist. Make sure the file path and name are correct and that you have specified the correct access mode in the OPEN statement.

3. How do I handle different file formats when reading in FORTRAN on Linux?

FORTRAN has built-in functions for handling different file formats, such as FMT for formatted files and UNFORMATTED for unformatted files. You can also use the INQUIRE statement to determine the format of a file before reading it.

4. Can I read multiple files at once in FORTRAN on Linux?

Yes, you can read multiple files at once in FORTRAN on Linux by using the OPEN statement for each file and specifying a different unit number for each file. Then, you can use the READ statement for each file using the corresponding unit number.

5. How do I close a file after reading in FORTRAN on Linux?

To close a file after reading in FORTRAN on Linux, you can use the CLOSE statement followed by the unit number of the file you want to close. This will release any resources associated with the file and make it available for other processes to access.