Passive Adiabatic Effect: Cold sky reflection on IR imagery.

In summary, when using thermal imaging, an object may appear colder on the side facing the sky due to the difference in radiation received from the Earth and the sky. This is not a reflection of cold, but rather a result of the object losing heat at a different rate on the two surfaces. This phenomenon is not in violation of the second law of thermodynamics.
TheCornishMong
I am currently in training to become an analyst using thermal imagery. In the studies I have been introduced to cold sky reflection on thermal imagery, however the instructor explained it as a surface 'reflecting the cold from the sky' which, as far as I'm aware, doesn't fit with the second law of thermodynamics. Can someone provide me with an explanation of what causes this effect?

Science news on Phys.org
TheCornishMong said:
I am currently in training to become an analyst using thermal imagery. In the studies I have been introduced to cold sky reflection on thermal imagery, however the instructor explained it as a surface 'reflecting the cold from the sky' which, as far as I'm aware, doesn't fit with the second law of thermodynamics. Can someone provide me with an explanation of what causes this effect?

If I understand the question, you are wondering about the physics involved when an object appears to be colder on the side facing the sky than the side facing the ground.

It has to do with the radiation from a body's surface. If the rate at which a surface receives radiation and the rate at which it loses radiation are not equal, the temperature of the surface will adjust until the rates are equal.

So if the surface facing the ground is receiving warm radiant energy from the Earth and the top surface is not, the top temperature of the top surface will be lower (unless, of course, the entire body is a perfect conductor so that the entire body has the same temperature at all times). You will see this on a device that detects thermal radiation from surfaces.

So it is not that the sky is reflecting cold. It is just that it is not reflecting or radiating as much heat as the earth.

AM

TheCornishMong said:

I'm more familiar with this effect in millimeter-wave imaging, but the reasoning should be the same. IR and MMW imagers work in wavebands that are largely unabsorbed by the atmosphere, so if your sensor is imaging a piece of metal that reflects the sky, what you actually detect is the cold of deep space.

1. What is the Passive Adiabatic Effect?

The Passive Adiabatic Effect refers to the phenomenon where the temperature of an object or surface is affected by the surrounding environment. In the case of IR imagery, it specifically refers to the cooling effect of the cold sky's reflection on the temperature readings of the object.

2. How does the Passive Adiabatic Effect impact IR imagery?

The Passive Adiabatic Effect can significantly impact IR imagery by causing temperature readings to be lower than the actual temperature of the object. This is because the cold sky's reflection can reduce the amount of heat emitted from the object, leading to a cooler temperature reading.

3. What factors can affect the Passive Adiabatic Effect?

Several factors can influence the Passive Adiabatic Effect, including the weather conditions, the altitude of the object, and the angle of the sky's reflection. Other factors such as the type of material and surface properties of the object can also play a role.

4. How can the Passive Adiabatic Effect be minimized in IR imagery?

To minimize the impact of the Passive Adiabatic Effect on IR imagery, the angle of the sky's reflection can be adjusted by changing the position or orientation of the object. Additionally, using materials with high emissivity can help reduce the cooling effect of the cold sky's reflection.

5. Can the Passive Adiabatic Effect be beneficial in certain situations?

Yes, the Passive Adiabatic Effect can be beneficial in some cases. For example, in hot environments, the cold sky's reflection can help cool down the object, preventing it from overheating. However, in most cases, it is important to account for and minimize the effect for accurate temperature readings in IR imagery.