Capacitors with unequally charged plates?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of capacitors and the storing of charges on two plates. While it is possible to have unequal charges on each plate, this is not typically seen in real world circuits. The difference in charges is usually very small and insignificant. However, in RF circuitry, this imbalance can be more significant. It is important to note that when a capacitor is connected to a battery, the charges on each plate must be equal.
gralla55
I'm currently on the chapter on capacitors in my physics book. I'm starting to get the concept, but everything still isn't crystal clear. I get that you can store charges in two plates, one containing a charge of Q, and the other a charge of -Q. But, would it not also work if the charges where unequal to each other in magnitude? Say, if you have one plate with +Q charge and another with -2Q ? Sorry if this is a really obvious question, haha.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, you can store different amounts of charges on each plate, but you probably won't find any real world circuits that do that. Capacitors are placed into circuits uncharged and neutral, and the circuits aren't usually capable of charging each plate separately.

If you connect a capacitor to a battery and then put it all on top of a Van der Graaf ball (say, positively charged), there will be an exess of positive charge on both plates of your capacitor. Hence the two pates will have different net charges on them, the positive plate having more and the negative plate having fewer.
Mostly, because the capacity between capacitor plates is much higher than the capacity of the individual plates to Earth and the voltages are all 'low', there will be a very small value of unbalanced charge. But you could say that your suggestion nearly always applies - just not to any significant degree.
In RF circuitry, which could involve C values of only a few pF, the imbalance could be much more significant (although the values of actual charge would be tiny).

one thing to get clear in your thinking is that if you connect a capacitor to a battery the charge on each plate MUST be equal. The charge removed from one plate is placed on the other plate... so equal.
If you have 2 plate with different charges it cannot be a capacitor connected to a battery.

The capacitor in the OP was not connected to a battery, though. But I think I am still right under those circumstances. Charge the capacitor with +1C on one terminal and -1C on the other, then charge each plate (independently) with another +0.001C (involving a lot of volts, of course). The net result will be +1.001C on one and -0.999C on the other.
I don't think the addition of a battery should alter that.

1. What is a capacitor with unequally charged plates?

A capacitor with unequally charged plates is a type of electronic component that is used to store electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material, with one plate having a positive charge and the other having a negative charge.

2. How does a capacitor with unequally charged plates work?

When a potential difference is applied to the capacitor, the positive plate attracts negative charges from the negative plate, causing it to become positively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, which stores energy. The capacitor can then release this energy when needed.

3. What is the difference between a capacitor with unequally charged plates and a capacitor with equally charged plates?

The main difference is in the amount of charge and energy that can be stored. Unequally charged plates can store more energy than equally charged plates due to the larger potential difference between the plates. Additionally, the capacitance of a capacitor with unequally charged plates is not constant, unlike a capacitor with equally charged plates.

4. What are some common applications of capacitors with unequally charged plates?

Capacitors with unequally charged plates are commonly used in electronic circuits to store energy, filter signals, and regulate power. They are also used in power supplies, audio equipment, and motor control circuits.

5. How can I calculate the capacitance of a capacitor with unequally charged plates?

The capacitance of a capacitor with unequally charged plates can be calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in farads, Q is the charge on the plates in coulombs, and V is the potential difference between the plates in volts. The capacitance can also be affected by factors such as the distance between the plates, the surface area of the plates, and the dielectric material used.