Attempting to graph momentum help

In summary, the trolley that had more mass took longer to cover the same distance as the trolley that was propelled with the same force. This is because the trolley with more mass had to overcome more resistance.
Owatch
What I am trying to do right now is graph momentum as a linear slope on a graph.
What I know is:

p = mv

Now, I've collected data giving me the velocity of the object, and I also have the mass. Now All I am trying to do is figure out a way to graph this.

I've tried 1/p= 1/(mv) but of course all I get is a horizontal line for a slope at 1.

What I need to do is somehow make one of these variables proportional to each other in order for me to be able to derive momentum from the graph, even having the area under the graph being = to momentum would be fine.

I'm pretty stumped. I can't think of anyway I can get a proper graph that would show me momentum. At least one with a slope.

Can anybody help me out here?

I have: velocity, time, displacement, and mass as data for this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear what you intend to show with your graph. The momentum is given by mv, so if you have the velocity you have the momentum.

What exactly did you measure?

@DocAl

I intend to show P in the graph as the gradient of the slope, or line. I know I have momentum already, I just have to represent it in a graph. Where the gradient will be P, the thing is, I can't exactly find any possible way to do it.

I measured the time it took for a trolley to cross a certain distance after being propelled with the same amount of force. (I took 5 trials). As well as the time it took for the trolley it collided into to travel the rest of the track distance.

Because I know the mass's of both trolleys, and the force propelling the first is always constant. I can derive V from S/t and then use p = mv to get momentum.

So I measured the time it took for the trolley and the one it hit to cover a set distance. As well as the mass's of both trolleys, which were identical.

I repeated this in 7 different intervals. Where I added more mass to each trolley. And did the same 5 time trials.

Forgot to use the reply button, reply is above ^

There are a few different ways you could approach graphing momentum. One option would be to plot momentum (p) on the y-axis and velocity (v) on the x-axis. Since p = mv, this would give you a linear relationship with a slope of m (mass). The y-intercept would be 0, since p is 0 when v is 0. This graph would show the momentum of the object at different velocities.

Another option would be to plot momentum on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. Since p = mv, you could also express this as p = m∆v/∆t, where ∆v is the change in velocity and ∆t is the change in time. This would give you a slope of m (mass) and the y-intercept would be 0 again. This graph would show how momentum changes over time.

You could also plot momentum on the y-axis and displacement on the x-axis. Since p = mv, you could express this as p = m∆s/∆t, where ∆s is the change in displacement and ∆t is the change in time. This would also give you a slope of m (mass) and the y-intercept would be 0. This graph would show how momentum changes over displacement.

Another option would be to plot momentum on the y-axis and the area under the velocity-time graph on the x-axis. This would require you to calculate the area under the velocity-time graph using calculus, but it could show the relationship between momentum and the change in velocity over time.

I hope one of these options helps you create a graph that accurately represents momentum. Remember to label your axes and include units to make your graph clear and understandable. Good luck!

1. What is momentum in physics?

Momentum is a measurement of an object's mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In simple terms, momentum describes how difficult it would be to stop an object's motion.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the difference between linear and angular momentum?

Linear momentum refers to an object's motion in a straight line, while angular momentum refers to an object's rotational motion. Linear momentum is calculated using mass and velocity, while angular momentum is calculated using mass, velocity, and the distance from the axis of rotation.

4. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. This means that the initial momentum of all objects in the system before a collision or interaction must equal the final momentum of all objects after the collision or interaction. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

5. How can I graph momentum?

To graph momentum, you will need to plot the momentum values on the y-axis and the corresponding time values on the x-axis. You can use the formula p = m * v to calculate the momentum for different points in time and plot them on the graph. The resulting graph will show how an object's momentum changes over time.