Equivalent Mutual Inductor Circuits

In summary: I'm still stumped on how I can do KCL on this. I'm a mechanical engineer not EE.The mechanical engineering is neither here nor there; the math is the same. Anyway, the KCL equations are simple enough; the hard part is writing them in terms of Laplace variables. Once you do that, you equate them and you're done.I'll help you with the one for the "Y" network:$$\frac{V_{in}}{R_{S}} + s L_{S} I_{1} + s M (I_{1} + I_{2}) = 0$$$$s M (I_{1} + I_{
anol1258

Homework Statement

Consider the circuit which consists of two ideal inductors [itex]L_{S}[/itex] ,[itex]L_{P}[/itex]. These inductors are magnetically coupled with mutual inductance, M. It is possible to replace these magnetically coupled coils by three coils which do not share magnetic flux linkages. The two topological possibilities include the “Y” and the “Δ”. Calculate all inductance values:[itex]L_{1}[/itex],[itex]L_{2}[/itex],[itex]L_{3}[/itex],[itex]L_{A}[/itex][itex]L_{B}[/itex],[itex]L_{C}[/itex]

circuit:

8.jpg

Homework Equations

V=L*di/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

Once I get either a "Δ" or "Y" circuit I would be able to convert between them.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anol1258 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the circuit which consists of two ideal inductors [itex]L_{S}[/itex] ,[itex]L_{P}[/itex]. These inductors are magnetically coupled with mutual inductance, M. It is possible to replace these magnetically coupled coils by three coils which do not share magnetic flux linkages. The two topological possibilities include the “Y” and the “Δ”. Calculate all inductance values:[itex]L_{1}[/itex],[itex]L_{2}[/itex],[itex]L_{3}[/itex],[itex]L_{A}[/itex][itex]L_{B}[/itex],[itex]L_{C}[/itex]

circuit:

Homework Equations

V=L*di/dt

I don't see an image posted.

I got a error message when I tried to follow the link to that image.

Added in Edit:

OK. It's visible now.

attachment.php?attachmentid=58453&d=1367623974.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I think that should work

anol1258 said:

Homework Statement

circuit:

View attachment 58453

Homework Equations

V=L*di/dt

Interesting problem. Is there anything else in the problem description? Does it say anything about the turns ratio of Ls and Lp? That can be derived from the two inductances, I suppose. And does it mention any loading of the secondary? The problem seems to be pretty straightforward if the secondary is not loaded...

For the "T" circuit, consider the unloaded case where there is no secondary load resistance. If M=1, the secondary voltage equals the primary excitation voltage. So what does that imply about the bottom inductor value?

And when M=0.5, you get half of the primary voltage making it to the secondary, so what does that imply about the ratio of the upper inductors to the lower inductor?

I haven't gotten very far yet on the case where there are source and load impedances, and including the turns ratio part. But I think approaching it from the ideal cases is helpful to start to figure out the method to use...

berkeman said:
does it mention any loading of the secondary? The problem seems to be pretty straightforward if the secondary is not loaded...

It doesn't mention any loading of the secondary. He does give us the values of L1,L2, and M though. Yeah my professor said this was a pretty straightforward problem.

Thanks for your contribution. I will work on what you have provided :)

If you write the portion of the KCL loop equations which include the inductances in Laplace form for the original and "Y" (or "T") cases, you can equate the coefficients. The result is quite nifty.

gneill said:
If you write the portion of the KCL loop equations which include the inductances in Laplace form for the original and "Y" (or "T") cases, you can equate the coefficients. The result is quite nifty.

g, have you done this with arbitrary secondary load?

I have my doubts about this. How can you get a voltage gain > 1 from either of those circuits, or can one or more inductances be negative?

rude man said:
g, have you done this with arbitrary secondary load?
No, but I didn't think it would matter. I essentially assumed a current source driving each side. Whether that's a real current source or just what current obtains when a load is present shouldn't matter; if you replace a load that draws a given current with a current source of that same value, the result should be indistinguishable.
I have my doubts about this. How can you get a voltage gain > 1 from either of those circuits, or can one or more inductances be negative?

Negative inductance not required. The mutual inductance is always less that or equal to both individual inductors. Or, in terms of the coupling coefficient,
$$K = \frac{M}{\sqrt{L_1 L_2}}$$
and 0 ≤ K ≤ 1.

gneill said:
No, but I didn't think it would matter. I essentially assumed a current source driving each side. Whether that's a real current source or just what current obtains when a load is present shouldn't matter; if you replace a load that draws a given current with a current source of that same value, the result should be indistinguishable.

Negative inductance not required. The mutual inductance is always less that or equal to both individual inductors. Or, in terms of the coupling coefficient,
$$K = \frac{M}{\sqrt{L_1 L_2}}$$
and 0 ≤ K ≤ 1.

There is no mutual inductance among L1, L2 and L3, nor LA, LB and LC.

Take the L1-L2-L3 network, ascribe any values you like to those inductors, and show me how the output can exceed the input?

whoa whoa whoa guys I'm still stumped on how I can do KCL on this. I'm a mechanical engineer not EE.

What's preventing you? Not that I especially recommend it, especially with no output load element. Then it's just ac voltage dividers ...

Anyway, these "equivalent" circuits can't handle the case where k*sqrt(Ls/Lp) > 1, k = M/sqrt(Lp*Ls), 0< k< 1.
In other words, turns ratio > 1.

rude man said:
What's preventing you? Not that I especially recommend it, especially with no output load element. Then it's just ac voltage dividers ...
To whom are you addressing this remark?

We have this nifty "Quote" feature to resolve this issue --- especially when more than two people are involved in the discussion.

After all, it is anol1258's thread.

rude man said:
Anyway, these "equivalent" circuits can't handle the case where k*sqrt(Ls/Lp) > 1, k = M/sqrt(Lp*Ls), 0< k< 1.
In other words, turns ratio > 1.

Good point. I hadn't considered the step-up case in my earlier post...

SammyS said:
To whom are you addressing this remark?

We have this nifty "Quote" feature to resolve this issue --- especially when more than two people are involved in the discussion.

After all, it is anol1258's thread.

That's to whom it was addressed, as the sequence might suggest ... but yes you're right & I apologize for the faux pas.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Good point. I hadn't considered the step-up case in my earlier post...

's OK, neither did anyone else ...

These ckts are really, really pointless. They don't include winding resistance, not to mention step-up capability. They do include leakage inductance, you got to give 'em credit for that i suppose. :smile:

rude man said:
's OK, neither did anyone else ...

These ckts are really, really pointless. They don't include winding resistance, not to mention step-up capability. They do include leakage inductance, you got to give 'em credit for that i suppose. :smile:

It turns out, if one allows negative inductance then step-up will work just fine too:smile: Winding resistance can be pushed into the external circuit as a lumped value.

A negative inductance is really a capacitance. -jωL looks just like 1/(jωC) for a suitable choice of C. So the circuit becomes second order and resonance effects obtain. For a sinusoidal stimulation, this can appear as amplification (step-up).

The relationship that I found using term matching does yield a negative value for one of the "T" inductors when the mutual inductance exceeds the value of either winding's inductance.

gneill said:
It turns out, if one allows negative inductance then step-up will work just fine too:smile: Winding resistance can be pushed into the external circuit as a lumped value.

A negative inductance is really a capacitance. -jωL looks just like 1/(jωC) for a suitable choice of C. So the circuit becomes second order and resonance effects obtain. For a sinusoidal stimulation, this can appear as amplification (step-up).

The relationship that I found using term matching does yield a negative value for one of the "T" inductors when the mutual inductance exceeds the value of either winding's inductance.

Looking worse & worse. Resonance effects? Aren't supposed to be any resonance effects - not at any frequency.

If the equiv ckt is only good at one frequency then I wouldn't want to put a step function into it ... use it as a pulse transformer ... :smile:

gneill said:
The mutual inductance is always less that or equal to both individual inductors.

Hmmm ... really! :uhh:

rude man said:
Looking worse & worse. Resonance effects? Aren't supposed to be any resonance effects - not at any frequency.

If the equiv ckt is only good at one frequency then I wouldn't want to put a step function into it ... use it as a pulse transformer ... :smile:

Well, I assume that the idea is to use the transformed circuit for analysis purposes, not to build a substitute for a transformer (losing isolation amongst other things). The resulting equations do appear to match the original though.

Well, if anyone can make sense of it I imagine it would be you. To me this is the equiv ckt from hell!

BTW sorry about my comment on M vs. L1 and L2. I believe you corrected that later & I forgot.

rude man said:
Hmmm ... really! :uhh:

Sorry 'bout that. I was thinking about the single-loop 'proof' of that. Doesn't apply to multiloop coils. There M ≤ √(LpLs).

1. What is an equivalent mutual inductor circuit?

An equivalent mutual inductor circuit is a simplified representation of a complex circuit with multiple mutual inductors. It is a combination of inductors that have the same effect on the overall circuit as the original circuit with multiple inductors.

2. Why is it important to have an equivalent mutual inductor circuit?

Having an equivalent mutual inductor circuit allows for easier analysis and understanding of the circuit. It also helps in reducing the complexity of the circuit, making it easier to design and troubleshoot.

3. How is an equivalent mutual inductor circuit calculated?

The equivalent mutual inductor circuit is calculated by using the principle of mutual inductance, which states that the voltage induced in one inductor is proportional to the rate of change of current in another inductor. This can be represented mathematically using the mutual inductance coefficient and the number of turns in each inductor.

4. Can an equivalent mutual inductor circuit have different values compared to the original circuit?

Yes, an equivalent mutual inductor circuit can have different values compared to the original circuit. This is because the equivalent circuit is a simplified representation and may not take into account certain factors such as parasitic elements or non-ideal behavior of the inductors.

5. How does an equivalent mutual inductor circuit affect the performance of a circuit?

An equivalent mutual inductor circuit does not affect the performance of a circuit as it represents the same circuit with multiple inductors. However, the values of the inductors in the equivalent circuit may affect the performance if they are significantly different from the original circuit.