Register to reply

How do famous physicists create their formulas?

by timespeed
Tags: create, famous, formulas, physicists
Share this thread:
timespeed
Sep12-13, 12:58 AM
P: 2
So how does one create a formula. I've seen that it starts with proportionalities and constants, but how does one connect a constant to a proportionality? Can you provide a step by step example?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
Khashishi
Sep12-13, 01:30 PM
P: 887
I think you need to be a little more specific. Like, how did Newton come up with the formula ##F=ma##? Still, I don't see what you are trying to get at here.
mikeph
Sep12-13, 01:32 PM
P: 1,212
It starts with observation and insight, not proportionality and constants.

CWatters
Sep12-13, 06:03 PM
P: 3,150
How do famous physicists create their formulas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW7DW9NIO9M
ZeroPivot
Sep13-13, 07:09 AM
P: 54
they look into a cristalball and then they smoke ganja and pray to Manon. And then the formula just shows up in their dream in bright hot magenta (new times roman font).
Claude Bile
Sep13-13, 07:13 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,477
Famous or no, either one fits a formula to experimental observations (called empyrical formulae), or they are derived from more fundamental facts/assertions, where they are then subsequently tested against observation.

Claude.
timespeed
Sep15-13, 03:34 AM
P: 2
thank you cwatters

Register to reply