How to insert genes in a plant?

• Thread starter Richard_Steele
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genes Plant
In summary, you can insert pieces of other plant genes into another different specie of plant by studying biology, looking for a working group doing something similar, and then joining them. You need a gene gun to insert plasmids into plant material, and you need to prepare the seeds to be more receptive before firing plasmid loaded particles into them.
Richard_Steele
How can I insert pieces of other plant genes into another different specie of plant.
I want to create new plants, so I would know the process.

Biology news on Phys.org
The easiest way: Study biology, look for a working group doing something similar and join them. Long before you have the required knowledge to do this, you'll know several methods to transfer genes.
Plants are not lego, you cannot just put a random gene of one plant into another and get something interesting new.

When I worked in an experimental lab, we used viral vectors with C. elegans.

mfb said:
The easiest way: Study biology, look for a working group doing something similar and join them. Long before you have the required knowledge to do this, you'll know several methods to transfer genes.
Plants are not lego, you cannot just put a random gene of one plant into another and get something interesting new.

You know any group on the net that are involved in such task?
I've asked to some people near of me and no one is involved in any similar project, so I've to check the internet to find it.

Pythagorean said:
When I worked in an experimental lab, we used viral vectors with C. elegans.

Similar thing here except we used bacteriophages as viral vectors with bacteria.

I've never worked with plants before but a quick glance at Wikipedia tells me that they use gene guns that directly inject the genetic material through the cell wall in the form of metal particles coated with plasmid DNA, as well as a completely different process involving a species of bacterium that is able to integrate its plasmid DNA into a plant host.

You need a gene gun to insert plasmids into plant material, IIRC you have to prepare the seeds to be more receptive (this involves removing any outer shells) before firing plasmid loaded particles into them.

What background do you have in plant biology and genetics? Do you know how to design and construct plasmids? Do you have access to relevant equipment? If not then I advise that you seek out education and employment in this field as mfb has said.

Either way it would be helpful if you could provide information as to what your goal is and what means you have to do it so people can help you properly rather than having to guess whether to pitch their answers towards an amateur aiming to do work in their garage or a PhD student wanting to cross disciplines.

1. How do you insert genes in a plant?

Genes can be inserted into a plant through a process called genetic transformation. This involves introducing foreign DNA into the plant's cells, usually through a technique called Agrobacterium-mediated transformation or biolistic transformation.

2. What is Agrobacterium-mediated transformation?

Agrobacterium-mediated transformation is a technique where a specific type of bacteria, Agrobacterium tumefaciens, is used to transfer foreign DNA into a plant's cells. The bacteria naturally infects plants and can be manipulated to carry and deliver desired genes into the plant's genome.

3. How does biolistic transformation work?

Biolistic transformation, also known as particle bombardment, involves using a "gene gun" to shoot tiny particles coated with foreign DNA into a plant's cells. The particles penetrate the cell wall and deliver the DNA into the cell, where it can integrate into the plant's genome.

4. What are some methods for inserting genes into plants?

In addition to Agrobacterium-mediated and biolistic transformation, other methods for gene insertion in plants include electroporation, protoplast fusion, and microinjection. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific plant species and desired outcome.

5. Is inserting genes in plants safe?

The safety of genetically modified plants is a subject of ongoing debate. While there are potential risks associated with genetic modification, rigorous testing and regulations are in place to ensure that genetically modified plants are safe for consumption and the environment. Additionally, the benefits of genetic modification, such as increased crop yields and pest resistance, have shown to be beneficial for agriculture and food production.