Which Methanol State to Use for Heat of Reaction Calculations?

In summary, when finding the heat of reaction at standard state, the heat of formation of gaseous methanol should be used. The temperature given in the scenario (800 degrees) should only be considered for the final state of the product molecule, not its state at standard conditions. This is because the reaction converts liquid methanol to gaseous, requiring a certain amount of heat for the change of state. Therefore, the final heat of reaction will be higher than if the reaction yielded liquid methanol.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

I am confused about the following scenario.

Suppose I have the reaction

CO (g) + 2H2 (g) → CH3OH (g)

and I am asked to solve for the heat of reaction at 800 C. My query is the following: when finding the heat of reaction at standard state, which heat of formation I should use for the methanol? The heat of formation for gaseous or for liquid methanol?

The reason I may argue for liquid is because at standard state, methanol exists as a liquid. On the other hand, the reaction gives it as a gas. Which one do I choose and why? What's the rule about this sort of situation?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Heat of formation of gaseous methanol must be chosen. The temperature is given as 800 degrees. You should only look at the final state of the product molecule and not bother about what its state is at the standard conditions. And your question's answer is as follows:, liquid methanol is converted to gaseous (in the intermediate stage)- so a certain heat is required for a change of state. So the final heat required for this reaction is more than that of a reaction yielding liquid methanol.

What is the definition of standard heat of reaction?

The standard heat of reaction, also known as the standard enthalpy of reaction, is the change in enthalpy that occurs during a chemical reaction under standard conditions.

What are standard conditions for heat of reaction?

The standard conditions for heat of reaction refer to a set of specific conditions used for comparison of enthalpy changes. These conditions include a temperature of 25°C (298 K), a pressure of 1 bar, and all reactants and products in their standard states.

How is standard heat of reaction calculated?

The standard heat of reaction is calculated by subtracting the standard enthalpy of the reactants from the standard enthalpy of the products. This can be represented by the equation ΔH° = ΣH°(products) - ΣH°(reactants).

What is the significance of standard heat of reaction?

The standard heat of reaction is important because it provides information about the energy changes that occur during a chemical reaction. It can also be used to predict the direction and extent of a reaction.

Can the standard heat of reaction be negative?

Yes, the standard heat of reaction can be negative, indicating an exothermic reaction where energy is released. It can also be positive, indicating an endothermic reaction where energy is absorbed.