Why does my homemade charge controller switch rapidly between charge and dump?

In summary, a circuit has been built using comparators inside a 555 timer to control the charge of a 12 V battery from a solar panel. The circuit uses pots R1 and R2 to adjust the battery voltage and switches between charging and dumping energy when the battery voltage is under 12 V or over 14 V, respectively. When testing the circuit with a 15 V panel and a 10 V battery, the relay switched rapidly between charge and dump. Upon further investigation, it was discovered that the battery being used was sulfated, causing the issue. After trying the circuit with a different battery, it was found to be working properly. It was also suggested to add capacitance to improve noise immunity and to consult the
damosuz
I have built the following circuit which uses the comparators inside a 555 timer to control the charge of a 12 V battery from a solar panel. The circuit is adjusted (via pots R1 and R2) so that when the battery voltage gets under 12 V, the relay connects the solar panel to the battery so it charges while when the battery voltage gets over 14 V, the relay connects the solar panel to a dummy resistor so it dumps energy.

When I try the circuit with the panel outputing 15 V and the battery at 10 V, the relay swithes very fast between charge and dump. Does anyone know why?

Thank you for your help.

555ChargeController2.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
The 555 pinout looks a bit odd to me. Where is pin 5? Have you checked that pinout against the 555 datasheet?

I tried with a different battery and it seems to be working. The battery I was using must have been sulfated!

Thank you.

Great.

Berkeman's suggestion about pin 5 was right on. 555 wants a capacitor there to smooth its internal reference .

Some capacitance from node R1-R2-R8 to common would help noise immunity.

555 datasheet suggests robust capacitance across supply near the chip for it draws considerable current during switching. The cmos versions are less rambunctious.

Nice job!
There exist "smart" analog battery charger IC's made for this job, but for a one-off hobby application yours looks fine.

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slua115/slua115.pdf

Likes 1 person

What is a homemade charge controller?

A homemade charge controller is an electronic device that regulates the flow of electricity from a power source, such as a solar panel, to a battery. It ensures that the battery is charged safely and efficiently.

Why would someone want to make their own charge controller?

Making your own charge controller allows you to customize it to your specific needs and budget. It can also be a fun and educational project for those interested in electronics and renewable energy.

What components are needed to make a homemade charge controller?

The main components needed for a homemade charge controller are a voltage regulator, resistors, diodes, capacitors, and a circuit board. Additional components may be required depending on the specific design and features of the charge controller.

How does a homemade charge controller work?

A homemade charge controller works by regulating the voltage and current from the power source to the battery. It uses a voltage regulator to maintain a constant voltage and prevents overcharging of the battery. Diodes and resistors are used to control the flow of electricity, and capacitors help to stabilize the voltage.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when making a homemade charge controller?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when making a homemade charge controller. This includes using proper insulation and protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling electrical components. It is also important to carefully read and follow instructions to avoid any potential hazards.