Register to reply

Boost-Flyback converter

by anhnha
Tags: boostflyback, converter
Share this thread:
anhnha
May7-14, 01:14 AM
P: 170
I am reading about Boost-Flyback converter and this is a bit confusing.
Could you explain the role of D1 and C1 here?
The lecture says that "D1 and C1deliver to the output the energy stored in the transformer leakage inductance Ld." I can't understand what is meant here.
And could you explain why there is Lm there?

Attached Thumbnails
Boost-Fyback converter.PNG  
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
DIY glove-based tutor indicates muscle-memory potential
Tricorder XPRIZE: 10 teams advance in global competition to develop consumer-focused diagnostic device
Study shows local seismic isolation and damping methods provide optimal protection for essential computing equipment
meBigGuy
May7-14, 02:16 PM
P: 1,084
Lm is the (non-ideal) leakage inductance of the transformer. You need to understand that first.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leakage_inductance

The leakage inductance stores energy the same as Ld does, and that energy needs to go somewhere as the field collapses. It doesn't go through the transformer because that's what Lm is representing, the inductance of the transformer as seen from the primary.
jim hardy
May7-14, 06:49 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,679
I don't know your source for that circuit so take this as speculation.

I'd wager leakage inductance includes not only transformer leakage as pointed out by mBGuy, but inductance of the loop (of wires or pc traces) connecting transistor S to the power supply and transformer as well.
That inductance can be quite troublesome if the layout is not very good as in the first switcher i ever built.
That's clever, capturing its stored energy with D1-C1 and adding it to output. The dissipative snubbers in my amateur project got quite hot.

davenn
May8-14, 12:57 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,651
Boost-Flyback converter

this isn't my field of expertise
so just wanting to learn....

mebigguy .... You are saying that Ld and Lm are not physical inductors but are the "product" of the primary of the 1:n transformer ?
At least I think that's what you are saying ?

Dave
meBigGuy
May8-14, 03:05 AM
P: 1,084
I am saying Lm is inside the transformer. I think Ld is a real inductor.
http://www.ijrte.org/attachments/Fil...0948012614.pdf uses a series inductor for boost.

Register to reply