Carbon Fiber Kits: Safety Test Results for Motorcycle Parts

In summary, the parts being sold by the moderator of the motorcycle forum may be unsafe if the purchaser decides to hit 200 mph on the freeway. Test data should be available for the parts, but the majority of the buying public would not know how to use the numbers. The parts are usually sold as "Race Only" or "Off Road" which may be another deterrent for buyers.
cronxeh
Gold Member
Hey there. I was browsing a motorcycle forum and stumbled upon a particular place where the moderator was in the process of selling his own manufactured "carbon fiber kits". Naturally I asked him if the people who designed those replacement parts had any engineering background, and if he had the stress/strain/creep test results available on them. I don't have a motorcycle, but I reasoned if he was to sell these parts to a sport bike owner, and the bike owner decided to hit 200 mph on the freeway - the part could crack from dynamics and stress loads, and potentially endanger his/her own life or the life of someone else on the road. -- The website is here: http://1000rr.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?p=39923#39923 --

What do you think? Should the people who sell custom bikes/kits also present the FEA and tensile strenght results?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Until the court cases come, there is no mandate that they provide any engineering information. They'd more than likely cover that under "intellectual property." That being said, this is a product liability nightmare waiting to happen. Anything having to do with public safety requires you to have all of your ducks in a row. If they have a decent mind among them, they will have all of the testing, analysis and any other supporting info to back up the safety aspects of their product. I would, at a minimum, hire a consulting firm to do an analysis. If something does happen, the lawyers will crawl up them so bad it would make a colonoscopy look like a walk in the park.

cronxeh said:
Hey there. I was browsing a motorcycle forum and stumbled upon a particular place where the moderator was in the process of selling his own manufactured "carbon fiber kits". Naturally I asked him if the people who designed those replacement parts had any engineering background, and if he had the stress/strain/creep test results available on them. I don't have a motorcycle, but I reasoned if he was to sell these parts to a sport bike owner, and the bike owner decided to hit 200 mph on the freeway - the part could crack from dynamics and stress loads, and potentially endanger his/her own life or the life of someone else on the road. -- The website is here: http://1000rr.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?p=39923#39923 --

What do you think? Should the people who sell custom bikes/kits also present the FEA and tensile strenght results?

Who's at fault if an croth-rocket owner is doing 200MPH in the first place? Secondly, The plastic fairings are fairly flimsy to begin with. Third I can almost guarantee that the replacement parts are not "engineered" but rather knock-offs of the original plastic parts. Fourth, CF is really a squid's toy anyway(re: put the CF on one day crack it while showing off the next). Replacing your plastic with CF reduces the weight little to begin with. CF adds no structural strength, it's only there for looks (sport bikes are as aerodynamic as bricks in the wind).

Should people who sell these kits make test data available? Should automakers do the same(they don't)? Should Yanaha, Honda, etc give the same data for their plastic fairings? Should all automotive aftermarket makers? IMO no. 99.9999% of the buying public wouldn't know what to do with the numbers to begin with and wouldn't care; moreover, the consequences of making poor quailty pieces is loss of business and time in court (Look into Texas Fairing). Finally, these aftermarket parts are almost always sold as "Race Only" or "Off Road" or some catch all to stave off the lawyers should some chuckle-headed rider decided to do what your scenerio states. Also, I know the race fairings I've gotten in the past have all had a "Discontinue use if fairing is damaged or scratched"--I used to race 600cc.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a carbon fiber kit?

A carbon fiber kit is a set of motorcycle parts that are made from a lightweight, strong, and durable material called carbon fiber. These kits typically include parts such as fairings, fuel tanks, and frames.

2. Are carbon fiber kits safe for use on motorcycles?

Yes, carbon fiber kits are safe for use on motorcycles. They undergo rigorous safety testing to ensure that they meet the necessary standards for use on vehicles.

3. How are the safety tests performed on carbon fiber kits?

The safety tests for carbon fiber kits involve subjecting the parts to various stress and impact tests to simulate real-world riding conditions. These tests measure factors such as strength, durability, and resistance to impact.

4. What are the benefits of using carbon fiber kits on motorcycles?

Carbon fiber kits offer several advantages for motorcycle riders, including improved strength and durability, reduced weight, and enhanced performance. They are also known for their sleek and modern appearance.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using carbon fiber kits on motorcycles?

While carbon fiber kits have many benefits, they can be more expensive than traditional motorcycle parts. They also require special care and maintenance to ensure their longevity.

Back