Ideal gases. what fun.

In summary, the conversation discusses calculations involving ideal gases, specifically the number of moles and density of hydrogen in a cylinder at a given temperature and pressure. The correct molecular mass for hydrogen is 1, not 2 as stated in the question, resulting in a significantly different density calculation.
QueenFisher
ideal gases. what fun. please help!

i'm having problems getting sensible answers...

a cylinder contains 4.62g of hydrogen at 17C and 2.32 x10^6 Pa
calculate number of moles.

actual mass/molecular mass= 4.62/2= 2.31
(relative molecular mass given as 2 in the question...is this right??)

calculate density of gas.
density=mass/volume

volume:
using pV=nRT
V=nRT/p
=2.31x8.31x(17+273) all divided by 2.32x10^6
=0.00239951...

density=4.62x10^3 (to make it into kg) divided by 0.00239951...

gives 1925393.101... kgm^-3
which seems awfully high.
i have another question but i'll put it in another thread before my computer crashes and i lose all of this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you'll find the RMM of Hydrogen is 1.

4.62g equals .00462kg NOT 4.62*10^3kg

should fix your answer

Hootenanny said:
I think you'll find the RMM of Hydrogen is 1.

well then either my physics teacher is wrong, or he was thinking of it in terms of H2 molecules. i did wonder when i read it if it was right, but i ended up with the right answer.

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas composed of particles that have no volume and do not interact with each other. This means that they do not have any attractive or repulsive forces between them, and their volume can be neglected compared to the volume of the container they are in.

2. What are the properties of an ideal gas?

An ideal gas has three main properties: it has no volume, does not have any attractive or repulsive forces between particles, and it obeys the ideal gas law (PV = nRT). This means that the pressure (P), volume (V), number of moles (n), and temperature (T) of an ideal gas are all directly proportional to each other.

3. Can real gases behave like ideal gases?

In certain conditions, real gases can behave similarly to ideal gases. This is usually when they are at low pressures and high temperatures. However, at high pressures and low temperatures, real gases deviate from ideal gas behavior due to the presence of intermolecular forces and the finite volume of the gas particles.

4. What are the applications of ideal gases?

Ideal gases are used in many scientific and engineering applications, such as in the study of thermodynamics, gas laws, and gas mixtures. They are also used as a simplified model for real gases in various industrial processes, such as in the production of chemicals and in refrigeration systems.

5. Are there any exceptions to the ideal gas law?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the ideal gas law. One of the most well-known exceptions is the van der Waals equation, which takes into account the volume and intermolecular forces of real gases. Other exceptions include gases at very high pressures and low temperatures, where the ideal gas law does not accurately predict their behavior.