Using an identity to find the sum to n terms of a series

In summary, the problem is that the author is trying to find the sum of r^2 + r from the identity (r+1)^3 - r^3, but is not able to simplify it to its original form. They need to find a telescoping series somewhere and then use the sum of cubes formula.
mr bob
Just working through my FP1 book and have got stuck on a question.
Use the identity [itex](r+1)^3 - r^3 \equiv3r^2 + 3r + 1[/itex]
to find [itex]\sum\limits_{r = 1}^n r(r+1)[/itex]
I've tried using the method of differences to get [itex]n^3 + 3n^2 + 3n[/itex], but can't see how to get it back into its original form, not sure how the identity corresponds to r(r+1).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
at a glance, i would say that you need to find a telescoping series somewhere.

wait, so youre not allowed to simplify it to the sum of r^2 + r? because then you change just separate it to the sum of the first n r^2 plus the first n of r. which should give (n)(n+1)(2n+1)/6 + (n)(n+1)/2.
this is what i see.

I could simplify it, but the question asks to use the identity. I am not sure how to use that with that series. Although splitting it down into its standard results would be a lot easier.

rearrange the identity like this,

3r(r+1) = (r+1)^3 - r^3 - 1

Then

Sigma r(r+1) = (1/3) Sigma {(r+1)^3 - r^3 - 1}

Now use the http://thesaurus.maths.org/mmkb/entry.html?action=entryById&id=3935" in the rhs (right hand side) and simplify.

It would be a lot simpler doing it the other way though, like hypermonkey suggested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you ever want to use the sum of cubes formula for that sum?

Alright I made it shorter; so here is what you need to show

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n-1} (k + 1)^{3} - k^{3} = \sum_{k=1}^{n-1} 3k^{2} + 3k + 1 [/tex]

[tex]{\left(\sum_{k=1}^{n} k^{3}\right)} - 1 -\left(\left({\sum_{k=1}^{n} k^{3}}\right) - n^{3}\right) = \sum_{k=1}^{n-1} 3k^{2} + 3k + 1[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n-1} 3k^{2} + 3k + 1 = n^{3} - 1[/tex]

[tex]3\sum_{k=1}^{n-1}k^{2} + 3\sum_{k=1}^{n-1}k + n - 1 = n^{3} - 1[/tex]

[tex]; 3\sum_{k=1}^{n-1}k = \frac{3n(n-1)}{2}[/tex]

[tex]3\sum_{k=1}^{n-1}k^{2} + \frac{3n(n-1)}{2}= n^{3} - n [/tex]

[tex]3\sum_{k=1}^{n}k^{2} + \frac{3(n+1)(n)}{2}= (n+1)^{3} - (n+1)[/tex]

[tex]3\sum_{k=1}^{n}k^{2} = \frac{n(n+1)(2n + 1)}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}k^{2} = \frac{n(n+1)(2n + 1)}{6}[/tex]

Then knowing that [tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}k = \frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}k^{2} + k = \frac{n(n+1)(2n + 1)}{6} + \frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex]

Last edited:
This simplifies down a bit further to,

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}k^{2} + k = \frac{n(n+1)(n + 2)}{3}[/tex]

1. What is an identity when it comes to finding the sum to n terms of a series?

An identity is a mathematical expression that is true for all values of the variables involved. In the context of finding the sum to n terms of a series, an identity is a formula that can be used to simplify the calculation of the sum.

2. Why is using an identity important for finding the sum to n terms of a series?

Using an identity allows for a more efficient and accurate calculation of the sum to n terms of a series. It eliminates the need for manually adding up each term and reduces the risk of errors in the calculation.

3. How do I know which identity to use for a specific series?

The choice of identity depends on the specific series being evaluated. It is important to understand the pattern or rule of the series and then choose an identity that can be applied to that pattern. It may require some trial and error or consulting with a math expert.

4. Are there different types of identities for finding the sum to n terms of a series?

Yes, there are various types of identities that can be used for different types of series. Some common types include geometric series, arithmetic series, and telescoping series. It is important to identify the type of series before selecting an appropriate identity.

5. Can I use an identity to find the sum to n terms of any series?

No, not all series can be evaluated using an identity. Some series may not have a clear pattern or rule that can be simplified. In these cases, other methods such as using the sum formula or finding partial sums may be necessary.