Simple Statistical Question

• Thread starter jaxnnux
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistical
In summary, the probability of having two children with the same appearance and sex is 0.5 for both blue and green eyes. The probability for having two children with the same appearance and opposite sexes is 0.5 for both blue and green eyes.
jaxnnux
Hello Gentlemen,

Here's a statistical question for you:

A man and a woman mate to produce a child that either has blue eyes (B) or green eyes (b), where blue eyes are dominant to green eyes.

As you remember from biology, there are 3 different possibilities for the genotype - BB, Bb, or bb.

The probabilities are 1:2:1 for BB:Bb:bb.

Thus, the chance for the child to have blue eyes is 3/4 and green eyes is 1/4.

Ok, I'm getting to the question now. The couple decides to have 2 children. What is the probability that the 2 children will have the same appearance and be of the same sex?

Here's what I think the answer is:

green eyes: (0.5*0.5*0.25*0.25)*100% = 1.5%
blue eyes:
(0.5*0.5*0.75*0.75)*100% = 14.1%

Is this correct? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Prob(same sex) = P(boy)2+P(girl)2 = 2(0.5)2 = 2*0.25 = 0.5.

Blue boys = (0.5*0.75)2 = Blue girls

green boys = (0.5*0.25)2 = green girls

Blue boys or blue girls = 2(0.5*0.75)2
green boys or green girls = 2(0.5*0.25)2

I cannot confirm whether your calculations are correct without knowing the exact values of each variable used. However, the general approach you have taken seems to be correct. In order to determine the probability of both children having the same appearance and sex, we need to consider the probability of each combination of genotype and sex. For example, the probability of both children having blue eyes and being male (BB, BB) would be (0.75*0.75)*100% = 56.25%. Similarly, the probability of both children having green eyes and being female (bb, bb) would be (0.25*0.25)*100% = 6.25%. By summing up the probabilities of all possible combinations, we can arrive at the overall probability of both children having the same appearance and sex. I would recommend double-checking your calculations and using specific values for each variable to ensure accuracy.

1. What is a simple statistical question?

A simple statistical question is a question that can be answered using basic statistical methods and does not require complex calculations or advanced statistical techniques.

2. What are some examples of simple statistical questions?

Examples of simple statistical questions include:
- What is the average age of students in a class?
- How many people prefer tea over coffee?
- What is the most common eye color in a population?

3. How do I determine the appropriate statistical method for a simple statistical question?

To determine the appropriate statistical method for a simple statistical question, you should consider the type of data you have (categorical or numerical), the number of variables involved, and the goal of your analysis (e.g. finding a mean, comparing groups, etc.).

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when answering a simple statistical question?

Some common mistakes to avoid when answering a simple statistical question include:
- Using the wrong statistical method for your data
- Drawing conclusions based on correlation rather than causation
- Not considering potential biases in your data
- Failing to clearly define your variables and parameters.

5. How can I use simple statistical questions in my everyday life?

Simple statistical questions can be applied in many aspects of everyday life, such as:
- Making informed decisions based on data (e.g. choosing a product based on reviews)
- Understanding trends and patterns in your daily routines (e.g. tracking your daily steps)
- Evaluating the effectiveness of a marketing campaign or product
- Making predictions based on historical data (e.g. predicting the weather based on past patterns).