Solving Parabolas & Lines Through (-1,3) and (2,12)

• Thread starter DethRose
  • Start date
I have a question assigned that states:use gaussian elimination to find 2 distinct parabolas (y=ax^2+bx+c (one with a greater than 0 and one larger than 0)) that can pass through (-1,3) and (2,12). How many parabolas can pass through the given points and why?Then use only your above results to determine the equation of the straight line that passes through the 2 points.ok what i did is i made 2 equations:3=a-b+c12=4a+2b+c and used gaussian elimination to solve for the variables but the only one that can be found is c which equals -6.Am i completely on the wrong track or
DethRose
I have a question assigned that states:

use gaussian elimination to find 2 distinct parabolas (y=ax^2+bx+c (one with a greater than 0 and one larger than 0)) that can pass through (-1,3) and (2,12). How many parabolas can pass through the given points and why?

Then use only your above results to determine the equation of the straight line that passes through the 2 points.

ok what i did is i made 2 equations:

3=a-b+c
12=4a+2b+c and used gaussian elimination to solve for the variables but the only one that can be found is c which equals -6.

Am i completely on the wrong track or is there something i am overlooking when I am doing this

please help

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations look right but I don't think the result (c = -6) is correct, can you show us how you got that?

1 1 1 3
2 2 1 12

can be transformed by a sequence of elementary row operations to the matrix

1 1 0 9
0 0 1 -6

Step 2: Interpret the reduced row echelon form

The reduced row echelon form of the augmented matrix is

1 1 0 9
0 0 1 -6

which corresponds to the system

1 x1 +1 x2 = 9
1 x3 = -6

DethRose said:
I have a question assigned that states:
use gaussian elimination to find 2 distinct parabolas (y=ax^2+bx+c (one with a greater than 0 and one larger than 0)) that can pass through (-1,3) and (2,12). How many parabolas can pass through the given points and why?
Then use only your above results to determine the equation of the straight line that passes through the 2 points.
ok what i did is i made 2 equations:
3=a-b+c
12=4a+2b+c and used gaussian elimination to solve for the variables but the only one that can be found is c which equals -6.
Am i completely on the wrong track or is there something i am overlooking when I am doing this
please help
thanks

Because there are two equations, you should be able to determine two of the coefficients in terms of the third. That's why the problem says to find two such parabolas.
However, I also do not see how you got c= -6. Please show your work.

1 -1 1 3
4 2 1 12

can be transformed by a sequence of elementary row operations to the matrix

1 0 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 3
0 1 -1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 0

Step 2: Interpret the reduced row echelon form

The reduced row echelon form of the augmented matrix is

1 0 1
2 3
0 1 -1
2 0

which corresponds to the system

1 x1 +(1/2) x3 = 3
1 x2 +(-1/2) x3 = 0

x1 = +(-1/2) x3 +3
x2 = +(1/2) x3
x3 = arbitrary

1. What is the formula for solving a parabola?

The formula for solving a parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a is the coefficient of the squared term, b is the coefficient of the linear term, and c is the constant term.

2. How do I find the slope of a line passing through two given points?

The slope of a line passing through two points (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) can be found using the formula m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1).

3. Can I use the same formula to solve both the parabola and the line?

No, the formula for solving a parabola is different from the formula for finding the slope of a line. However, both formulas involve using the coordinates of points on the curve or line.

4. What is the significance of the point (-1,3) and (2,12) in solving a parabola and a line?

The points (-1,3) and (2,12) represent two points on the parabola and line, respectively. By plugging these coordinates into the corresponding formulas, we can solve for the unknown variables and better understand the shape and direction of the curve and line.

5. Are there any other methods for solving parabolas and lines besides using the formula?

Yes, there are other methods such as graphing or using matrix equations. However, using the formula is the most common and efficient way to solve parabolas and lines.