Diffraction grating white light problem

In summary, the width of the spectrum on a screen 2.0 meters behind a diffraction grating is dependent on the wavelength and the angle of incidence.
twiztidmxcn
Hey

Here is the problem, I think I may be stuck but I'll provide all the information I have so far.

White light (400-700nm) is incident on a 600 line/mm diffraction grating. What is the width of the first order rainbow on a screen 2.0m behind the grating?

What I figured was to use the equation d*sin(theta) = m * wavelength

as well as the equation y = L*tan(theta), with L = 2.0m, m = 1 (first order rainbow),

Basically, I have to find theta, then find y, which ends up being the width of my projected rainbow. I am, however, totally stuck at this point. I'm not even sure if my assumption that m = 1 is right, or if I am on the right path.

Any help in the right direction would be awesome.

Thank you
twiztidmxcn

Physics news on Phys.org
This is probably not the best way, but the way that I would do that is to find theta when the wavelength is 400 nm, and then do the same to find the angle when the wavelength is 700 nm, then use a little trig and the difference between the angles to calculate the width of the spectrum.

calculate the angles by using
[tex]n\lambda = dsin\theta[/tex] (n = 1, d = distance between the slits).

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, i had already used that equation for both and found

theta @ 400nm = 13.9 degrees
theta @ 700nm = 24.8 degrees

using the idea of finding the angle difference (10.9 degrees), then using trig we find that tan(theta) = y / x, y = tan (theta) * x, where x = 2m and theta is the angle difference that i calculated?

thus leaving me with something like y = 2m * tan (10.9) = .385m?

Last edited:
The difference between the angles doesn't help you here because [itex]\tan{\theta_2} - \tan{\theta_1}[/itex] does not equal [itex]\tan (\theta_2 - \theta_1)[/itex].

I think I get what you mean

It makes more sense with that explanation, and helps me to reason that since x*tan(theta) = y, y2 - y1 = x(tan(theta2)-tan(theta1)).

What you were saying is to use the difference of lengths rather than angle because... well of what you said.

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is a finely spaced surface with thousands of closely spaced parallel lines that can diffract light into its component wavelengths.

2. How does a diffraction grating work?

When light passes through a diffraction grating, the light is diffracted into its component wavelengths due to the interference of the light waves passing through the closely spaced slits.

3. What is the white light problem in diffraction gratings?

The white light problem in diffraction gratings refers to the fact that when white light is shone through a diffraction grating, it is split into a continuous spectrum of colors, rather than distinct lines as would be expected.

4. Why does the white light problem occur in diffraction gratings?

The white light problem occurs because white light is made up of a range of wavelengths, and each wavelength is diffracted at a slightly different angle. This causes the colors to overlap, creating a continuous spectrum instead of distinct lines.

5. How is the white light problem in diffraction gratings solved?

The white light problem can be solved by using a spectrometer or prism to separate the colors of the spectrum and then passing the light through a narrow slit before it reaches the diffraction grating. This will create distinct lines for each color, rather than a continuous spectrum.