Proving 2^(2^n) + 1 Ends in 7 for All n > 1 - Induction Question

• Thread starter Kamataat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, the given conversation discusses the proof by induction that for all n greater than 1, 2^{2^n}+1 always ends in 7, which is also true for n = 2. The conversation presents a case where the last digit being 7 couldn't be found, but instead, it was shown that the case where 2^{2^n} ends in 6 for all n greater than 1 is true, which leads to the conclusion that 2^{2^n}+1 ends in 7 for all n greater than 1.
Kamataat
Prove by induction that [tex]2^{2^n}+1[/tex] always ends in 7 for all n > 1 (true for n = 2).

I couldn't figure out anything to do with the last digit being 7, so I looked the case that [tex]2^{2^n}[/tex] ends in 6 for all n > 1, which is also true for n = 2.

Suppose it's true for n = k:

[tex]2^{2^{k+1}}=2^{2^k\cdot 2}=(2^{2^k})^2[/tex]

Now, since by assumption [tex]2^{2^k}[/tex] ends in 6, its 2nd power also ends in 6 since 6x6=36. Hence [tex]2^{2^n}+1[/tex] ends in 7 for all n > 1.

Correct or not?

Thanks in advance,

- Kamataat

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's perfectly good. Obviously n+ 1 will end in 7 if and only if n ends in 6.

You could, just as easily, say "Suppose [itex]2^{2^k}+1[/itex] ends in 7 for some k. Then [itex]2^{2^k}[/itex] ends in 6. Therefore, [itex]2^{2^{k+1}}= (2^{2^k})^2[/itex] also ends in 6 and so [itex]2^{2^{k+1}}+ 1[/itex] ends in 7".

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what you've done is correct. Here is how I would set it out. I'm not sure if it's correct though.

Base case, assume true for n = so that [itex]2^{2^k } \equiv 6\left( {\bmod 10} \right)[/itex]

Using the hypothesis:

[tex]
2^{2^{\left( {k + 1} \right)} } \equiv 2^{2\left( {2^k } \right)} \equiv \left( {2^{2^k } } \right)^2 \equiv \left( 6 \right)^2 \equiv 6\left( {\bmod 10} \right)
[/tex]

I think the result follows from that.

Oops. Stumbled into the wrong thread. Though it was about labour & delivery. Please continue...

1. How do you prove that 2^(2^n) + 1 ends in 7 for all n > 1 using induction?

To prove this statement, we first establish the base case by showing that the statement holds true for n = 2. Then, we assume that the statement holds true for some arbitrary value of n = k. Next, we use the induction hypothesis to show that the statement also holds true for n = k+1. This completes the inductive step and proves that the statement holds true for all n > 1.

2. What is the significance of proving this statement using induction?

Using induction to prove this statement allows us to show that it holds true for all values of n greater than 1, without having to explicitly check each individual value. This allows us to make a general and conclusive statement about the behavior of the expression 2^(2^n) + 1.

3. Can you explain the concept of mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of mathematical proof used to prove statements about a set of numbers. It involves showing that a statement holds true for a base case, and then using that to show that the statement also holds true for the next case. This process is continued until the statement is proven to be true for all possible cases.

4. Is induction the only way to prove this statement?

No, there are other methods of proof that could be used to prove this statement, such as direct proof or proof by contradiction. However, induction is often the most efficient and straightforward method for proving statements about a set of numbers.

5. Can you give an example of a similar statement that can be proved using induction?

One example could be proving that the sum of the first n odd numbers is equal to n^2. This statement can be proved using induction by establishing the base case of n = 1 and then showing that the statement holds true for n = k+1 using the induction hypothesis.