How Can We Improve the Look and Feel of This Website?

• Thread starter William Thompson
  • Start date
In summary, some members of the conversation express a desire to bring back the old version of the website, while others advise the newcomer to get familiar with the site before suggesting improvements. The old version was described as a plain and boring vBulletin standard skin. Some members welcome suggestions, but advise against repeating previously suggested ideas.
William Thompson
I like the look and feel of this website.
I have some ideas for improving it.

Does anyone else?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, bring back the old one.

Smurf said:
Yeah, bring back the old one.

I am new here. I don't know what the old one was like.

Tell me more.

William Thompson said:

Tell me more.
It was just the plain, old, boring vBulletin standard skin. Nothing worth missing, although it seems some of our membership feel rather attached to it and didn't like when we redecorated.

I'd recommend that before you start jumping in and suggesting improvements, you spend a bit of time getting familiar with the site first. We often have new people arrive eager to make suggestions, and it just makes them feel bad when we shoot down the ideas because we've already tried them and long ago abandoned them. We do welcome suggestions, so all I'm suggesting is make sure it isn't something we've already tried or that has already been suggested a few dozen times before you do so, since you're pretty brand new here.

William Thompson said:

Tell me more.
Like this :tongue:

Monique said:
Like this :tongue:

Oh my :uhh: :rofl: . Thanks for the laugh!

1. How can the website be made more user-friendly?

One way to improve the user-friendliness of the website is by conducting user testing to gather feedback and identify areas for improvement. This can involve observing how users interact with the website and asking for their opinions and suggestions.

2. What measures can be taken to make the website more visually appealing?

To enhance the visual appeal of the website, it is important to choose an appropriate color scheme, use high-quality images and graphics, and have a clean and organized layout. It is also helpful to follow design principles such as balance, contrast, and consistency.

3. How can the website's loading speed be improved?

One way to improve the website's loading speed is by optimizing images and videos, minimizing the use of heavy plugins, and reducing the number of HTTP requests. Additionally, using a content delivery network (CDN) and implementing caching can also help to improve loading times.

4. What can be done to make the website more accessible for users with disabilities?

To make the website more accessible, it is important to follow web accessibility guidelines such as using alt tags for images, providing captions for videos, and ensuring proper color contrast. It is also helpful to have keyboard navigation options and to avoid using flashing or moving elements that may trigger seizures.

5. How can the website's search engine ranking be improved?

To improve the website's search engine ranking, it is important to conduct keyword research and optimize content with relevant keywords. It is also helpful to have a well-structured website with clear navigation and URL structure, and to regularly update and add new content. Utilizing social media and acquiring backlinks from reputable websites can also improve search engine ranking.