Exact Equation, reviewing for an exam, did I do this one right?

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the conversation discussed the process of finding a relationship between x and y of the form f(x,y) = c, specifically using the technique of exact differential equations. The original solution contained some errors, but with corrections and further explanation, the final solution was determined to be correct. It was also emphasized that the function h(y) should only be a function of y, in order for the solution to be valid.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, its exam time so I'm just reviewing all the different techniques for Diff EQ and i hit an exact diff EQ problem and i was just wondering if someone can check to see if i did it right. HEre it is:
Directions are find a relationships between x and y of the form f(x,y) = c.
http://suprfile.com/src/1/27rafy/lastscan.jpg

Thanks! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, except for the line [itex]\Psi(x,y) = \int Mdx[/itex] which should read [itex]\Psi(x,y) = \int Mdx + h(y)[/itex], it's good. But in an exam, you might want to explain what and why you do these things more.

Awesome thanks quasar

On the contrary, a lot of what you have written is non-sense!

You are correct that, with [itex]\Phi_x[/itex]= 3x2-2xy+ 2, you must have [itex]\Phi[/itex]= x3- x2y+ 2x+ h(y). The derivative of that, with respect to y is -x2+ h'(y)
and, of course, that must equal N which is 6y2- x2+ 3, not 6y2- x3+ 3!

You should have seen that you copied that incorrectly: you have
-x2+ h'(y)= 6y2- x3+ 3 and then h'(y)= 6y2- x3+ x2+ 3 which is impossible: h is a function of y only!

Writing it correctly, -x2+ h'(y)= 6y2- x2+ 3, h'(y)= 6y2+ 3. The x2 terms cancel which has to happen- that's the whole point of the differential being exact!

With h'(y)= 6y2+ 3, h(y)= 2y3+ 3y and the general solution to the differential equation is
x3- x2y+ 2x+ 2y3+ 3y= Constant.

:eek: I didn't noticed h(y) had x terms in it!

mr_coffee, like HallsofIvy said, h(y) has to be a function of y. Why? Because if in fact there exists a function [itex]\psi(x,y)[/itex] such that [itex]\partial \psi / \partial x = M[/itex] and such that [itex]\psi(x,y) = \int Mdx + h[/itex], it must be that h is a function of y only because it it were a function of x too, differentiation of that last equation would give [itex]\partial \psi / \partial x = M + \partial h(x,y) / \partial x \neq M[/itex] which contradicts the first equation.

So verifying that h is a function of y only is always a good way to check if you've made some mistakes along the way.

Ahh thanks guys!
Here i redid it, i think its right now:
http://suprfile.com/src/1/2deull/lastscan.jpg

Yes, that is correct!

1. What is an exact equation?

An exact equation is a type of differential equation where the coefficients of the dependent and independent variables are in the same form. This means that the equation can be solved by finding a function that satisfies both the equation and its derivative.

2. How do I know if an equation is exact?

To determine if an equation is exact, you can use the method of checking for exactness. This involves checking if the partial derivatives of the equation are equal. If they are equal, then the equation is exact and can be solved using the integrating factor method.

3. What is the integrating factor method?

The integrating factor method is a technique used to solve exact equations. It involves multiplying both sides of the equation by an integrating factor, which is a function of the independent variable. This simplifies the equation and allows for the integration of the solution.

4. How do I review for an exam on exact equations?

To review for an exam on exact equations, it is important to practice solving various types of exact equations using different methods such as the integrating factor method and separation of variables. You can also review your notes, textbook, and any practice problems provided by your instructor.

5. Did I solve this equation correctly?

To check if you have solved an equation correctly, you can plug your solution back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also check your solution with a calculator or online solver. If you are still unsure, you can ask your instructor for feedback or review with a classmate.