Modeling the Input Impedance of an Amplifier

In summary, the conversation is about modeling a circuit, specifically a guitar amplifier. The speaker is trying to determine the type of circuitry inside the guitar amp and is wondering if the input impedance listed in the product specifications refers to the impedance between the signal input and ground. The reply confirms that this is the case and that the input circuit for small signals will generally look like a resistor. The speaker then asks if for AC signals there will be negligible capacitance and inductance, which is confirmed for audio amps and signals. It is mentioned that this could potentially distort the audio signals, which can be desirable for electric guitars. The speaker also mentions wanting to know about any potential signal distortion, which can only be determined through testing or obtaining the actual
dimensionless
I'm trying to model a circuit. Part of this circuit is a guitar amplifier. I don't know what kind of circuitry is inside the guitar amp, it manufactures often list the input impedance in the product specifications.

When they say input impedance, do they mean the impedance between the signal input and the ground? Can I simply treat the input impedance as a resistor?

Engineering news on Phys.org
dimensionless said:
When they say input impedance, do they mean the impedance between the signal input and the ground? Can I simply treat the input impedance as a resistor?
Yes. The input circuit for an input like that will generally look like a resistor for small signals.

Would it be correct to say that for AC signals there is negligible capacitance and negligible inductance?

For the audio amp you mention and for audio signals, then yes, the input impedance should not present much series inductance or parallel capacitance. Otherwise, it would distort the audio signals. Well, I guess that can be a desired thing sometimes with an electric guitar...:devil: :biggrin:

Generaly there shouldn't be signal distortion, but if there is a 1dB roll off around 4KHz I'd like to know about it.

dimensionless said:
Generaly there shouldn't be signal distortion, but if there is a 1dB roll off around 4KHz I'd like to know about it.
Well, you'll only be able to determine that by testing, or by getting the actual schematic for your simulation. You can't use "black box" specs for a detailed simulation.

1. What is input impedance?

Input impedance is the measure of how easily an electrical signal can flow into a device, such as an amplifier. It is typically measured in ohms and is an important characteristic to consider when designing electronic circuits.

2. Why is modeling the input impedance of an amplifier important?

Modeling the input impedance of an amplifier is important because it allows us to understand how the amplifier will interact with other components in a circuit. It also helps us determine the overall performance and stability of the amplifier.

3. What factors affect the input impedance of an amplifier?

The input impedance of an amplifier can be affected by several factors, including the type of amplifier, the frequency range of the input signal, and the components used in the amplifier circuit. It can also be influenced by the load connected to the output of the amplifier.

4. How is the input impedance of an amplifier calculated?

The input impedance of an amplifier can be calculated by measuring the voltage and current at the input of the amplifier and using Ohm's law (Z = V/I). It can also be calculated using the transfer function of the amplifier, which takes into account the amplifier's gain and frequency response.

5. How can the input impedance of an amplifier be optimized?

The input impedance of an amplifier can be optimized by carefully selecting the components used in the circuit, such as resistors and capacitors. It can also be improved by using feedback techniques or matching the input impedance to the source impedance. Additionally, using a buffer stage or impedance matching network can help improve the input impedance of an amplifier.