Supposed to be an easy question about WORK

• Thread starter mms05
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: At the top, Jim has only potential energy, which is given by mgh. Therefore, his initial total energy is mgh. At the bottom, Jim has kinetic energy and potential energy, which is given by (mv^2)/2 + mgh. Therefore, his final total energy is (65 kg x 9 m/s)^2/2 + (65 kg x 9.8 m/s^2 x 5 m). The difference between the initial and final total energies is the work done by friction, which is the energy wasted as heat. In summary, the work done by friction as Jim rides his skateboard down the quarter circle ramp with a radius of 5.00 meters is equal to the difference
mms05
A problem about work

Hi! I need some help with this question:

Jim rides his skateboard down a ramp that is in the shape of a quarter circle with a radius of 5.00 meters. At the bottom of the ramp, Jim is moving at 9.00 m/s. Jim and his skateboard have a mass of 65.0 kg How much work is done by friction as the skateboard goes down the ramp?

What I used was
W=F(force) x r (displacement)
F= mv^2/r
= (65 kg x 9 m/s^2)/(5 m)
= 1035 N

W= (1035 N)(19.6 m) (To find 19.6, I used the circumference equation to find the distance down the ramp)

W= 20,286 J
20.3 kJ

I really do not think this is correct, and I'm trying to figure out what it means by "frictional" force.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jim and his skateboard have gravitational potential energy at the top of the ramp, what is it? How much kinetic energy would he have if all of his potential energy were transformed into kinetic? How much kinetic energy does Jim have?

Remember
pe = mgh
ke = (mv^2)/2

so i don't have to use the radius of the circular (1/4) ramp at all??

The radius is also the height from which Jim starts.

oh my goodness- I'm so utterly confused... It's just not clicking :(!

If it were a straight ramp 5m high, would it be easier to understand?

yes, i think so- but that wouldn't be the same as it being curved, because the displacement on a curved ramp would be different than that on a straight ramp, no?

Not necessarily. If the ramp were a 45 degree incline, the displacement would be the same (5m down, 5m over); however, the way I figured this out does not need a displacement.

At the top of the ramp, Jim has no kinetic energy, but he has mgh potential energy. What does he have at the bottom?

mms05 is right, the displacement on a curved ramp would be different than that on a straight ramp, but, in this particular problem you can use a different approach , just like Teegvin said, in order to calculate work.

W = - (Uf - Ui)

where Uf is the final potential energy and Ui is initial potential energy.

mms05 said:
Hi! I need some help with this question:

Jim rides his skateboard down a ramp that is in the shape of a quarter circle with a radius of 5.00 meters. At the bottom of the ramp, Jim is moving at 9.00 m/s. Jim and his skateboard have a mass of 65.0 kg How much work is done by friction as the skateboard goes down the ramp?

Find the total energy at the top and at the bottom. The difference in energy is the energy wasted to do work against friction when rolling down the ramp. :)

thank you all! :)

By conservation of total energy, initial total energy = final total energy + friction.

What is the purpose of work?

The purpose of work is to provide individuals with a means of earning a living and contributing to society by utilizing their skills and abilities.

How do people choose their career paths?

People often choose their career paths based on their interests, skills, education, and opportunities available to them. Some may also be influenced by family, societal norms, and financial stability.

What are the benefits of having a job?

Having a job can provide financial stability, a sense of purpose and accomplishment, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and a social network. It can also contribute to one's overall well-being and mental health.

How do different careers impact the economy?

Different careers can impact the economy in various ways, such as contributing to the production of goods and services, generating tax revenue, and creating job opportunities for others. Some careers, such as those in healthcare and technology, can also drive innovation and economic growth.

What are some strategies for achieving work-life balance?

Some strategies for achieving work-life balance include setting boundaries between work and personal life, prioritizing tasks, delegating responsibilities, and taking breaks and vacations. It may also involve finding a job that aligns with one's values and allows for flexibility.