I admit, I only had wrong impression

• Thread starter deda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the topic of Special Relativity and the speaker's realization that their previous understanding of time dilation was incorrect due to an optical illusion. They mention different equations from two sources and note that they are actually identical but expressed differently. The speaker also mentions a ratio that is constant and represents the speed of light. They express their excitement about gaining a better understanding of Special Relativity.
deda
regarding my page Einstein vs him self I must admit I was wrong due to an optical illusion reading my primary book.

In "General physics 1" by dr.Zafir Stojanov Skopje 1995 I had this equations:
[tex]L'=L\sqrt{1-\frac{V^2}{c^2}}[/tex] for contraction of length and
[tex]T=\frac{T'}{\sqrt{1-\frac{V^2}{c^2}}}[/tex] for dilation of time

In "Special theory of relativity" by dr. Vida Zigman Belgrade 1997 I have this equations:
[tex]L'=L\sqrt{1-\frac{V^2}{c^2}}[/tex] for contraction of length and
[tex]T'=T\sqrt{1-\frac{V^2}{c^2}}[/tex] for dilation of time.

If one looks carefully he'll notice that those two sets of equations are actually identical but only expressed differently. I always tougth that the time measured in rest frame is the shortest but in fact it's the longest. when traveling at greater speeds the observer measures both shorter length and proportionally shorter time.

[tex]\frac{L'}{T'}=\frac{L}{T}[/tex] this ratio is some speed that is constant and same in any frame. It's c. SR tries to measure every thing trhu c.

I'll sure have more questions as I make progress knowing SR. At this time I'll be just quite.

My appologies for all the incovinience.

Physics news on Phys.org
Deda,
I will be moving this to the Special Relativity section.
But... I am very glad to hear you say "Ahh... I See!"

This is a very good thing! Congratulations!

Such moments are often turning points in an education in Physics.
It is a very satisfying feeling.. Yes?

Thank you for acknowledging your mistake and admitting that you had a wrong impression. It takes courage and humility to admit when we are wrong, and it shows that you are open-minded and willing to learn.

It is understandable that you may have been confused by the different expressions of the equations in the two books you mentioned. However, as you have discovered, they are actually equivalent and represent the same concept. This is a common occurrence in physics, where different authors may use different notations or expressions to represent the same idea.

It is also important to note that the concept of time dilation and length contraction in special relativity can be counterintuitive and may go against our everyday experiences. But as you continue to study and delve deeper into the theory, you will gain a better understanding and be able to make sense of these concepts.

I encourage you to continue your studies and ask questions whenever you have doubts or need clarification. That is the best way to learn and improve your understanding. Keep an open mind and don't be afraid to make mistakes, as they are an essential part of the learning process.

Once again, thank you for acknowledging your mistake and I wish you all the best in your studies of special relativity.

1. What does it mean to have a wrong impression?

Having a wrong impression means that you have formed an opinion or belief about something that is not accurate or based on incorrect information.

2. How can someone have a wrong impression?

A person can have a wrong impression by misinterpreting information, making assumptions, or relying on biased or incomplete sources. It can also be influenced by personal experiences and emotions.

3. Is having a wrong impression common?

Yes, having a wrong impression is a common occurrence. It is a natural part of human thinking and can happen to anyone.

4. Can having a wrong impression be harmful?

Yes, having a wrong impression can be harmful as it can lead to misunderstandings, conflicts, and wrong decisions. It can also hinder personal and professional growth by limiting one's perspective.

5. How can someone overcome a wrong impression?

The first step to overcoming a wrong impression is to acknowledge that it exists. Then, one can gather more information and try to see things from different perspectives. It is also essential to be open-minded and willing to change one's beliefs based on new evidence.