What is the latest research on the brilliant minds of UCLA?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary: He started teaching at UCLA when he was 24, and he's seems to be perfectly normal, and thus I conclude that I have a brain of a gorilla. He's not the freaky, delusional type, just breezes through everything.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Two are from UCLA. :smile: :approve:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2006-09-11-brilliant-ten_x.htm

• Sara Seager, 35, of Carnegie Mellon University found a way to determine distant atmospheres by studying how our own planet would look from afar.

• Erich Jarvis, 41; Duke; animal linguistics

Jarvis' research suggests that humans not only learn to communicate the same way as zebra finches but also that all vertebrate animals may have innate language ability.

• Luis von Ahn, 27; Carnegie Mellon; computer science

The most powerful computers cannot mimic the nuance of a human mind, which is why von Ahn works to harness that brainpower. He has the lofty goal of labeling every image on the Internet by turning the process into a competitive online game (espgame.org) so the word associations offered by Internet users can become aids in finding the images in future Internet searches.

• Nima Arkani-Hamed, 34; Harvard; theoretical physics

Arkani-Hamed was controversial enough when he theorized that gravity is escaping our universe into two extra dimensions. Now he is speculating that our universe is only one of billions of universes inside a larger "multiverse."

• Jerry Goldstein, 35; Southwest Research Institute, San Antonio; planetary science

Goldstein has used satellite images to demonstrate that the Earth's magnetic shield is quite volatile. He showed that during strong solar storms, the plasmasphere surrounding the planet almost disappears, which disrupts satellites, space missions and Global Positioning System receivers.

• Melody Swartz, 37; Northwestern University/Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne; bioengineering

The key to growing organs for transplant may lie in currents of intercellular fluid that flow through body tissue. Swartz's research suggests that such currents redistribute proteins to create capillaries and encourage tissue growth.

• David Thompson, 36; Colorado State; climatology

Thompson helped discover how northern Arctic Oscillation can determine the everyday weather of the northern third of the planet. Now he is studying how the hole in the ozone has shifted wind patterns enough to cool some parts of Antarctica while other areas continue to melt.

• Kelly Dorgan, 26; University of Maine; zoology

Darwin theorized that worms eat the soil in front of them to move underground. Dorgan upended this theory when she observed worms turning their mouths inside out to wedge themselves through the mud. Dorgan is now going to study how burrowing can affect entire coastal ecosystems.

• Omar Yaghi, 41; UCLA-Los Angeles; materials science

Compressing gas usually takes very high pressure or very low temperature. Yaghi used molecular building blocks to create tiny, honeycombed scaffolding, which draws gas molecules close together, potentially making hydrogen-fueled cars feasible.

• Terry Tao, 31; UCLA; mathematics

Winning the Fields Medal, the mathematics equivalent of the Nobel Prize, is only Tao's latest achievement. His most famous effort uncovered a pattern among prime numbers, which scientists had sought for centuries.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What! No string theorists?

Thanks. Didn't see the s-word mentioned explicitly anywhere in the article.

neutrino said:
What! No string theorists?
I saw something about wormholes. Does that count?

I don't know. Isn't the idea of wormholes (Einstein-Rosen Bridge) older than ST? As Knavish has pointed out, Nima Arkani-Hamed is an applied string theorist.

Last edited:
neutrino said:
I don't know. Aren't the idea of wormholes (Einstein-Rosen Bridge) older than ST? As Knavish has pointed out, Nima Arkani-Hamed is an applied string theorist.
Yeah, but worms are kinda stringy.

But it's the (worm)holes we're talking about, not about the worms themselves. :P

Yeah but the reason I've avoided looking into string theory is because it would be like opening a can of worms.

That Terence Tao guy...a natural genius.

Where the hell is my name on that list? You are cut off MIH...

Cyrus, 21; too smart for school.
You name it he did it, and at half the cost and time.

Last edited by a moderator:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Where the hell is my name on that list? You are cut off MIH...

Cyrus, 21; too smart for school.
You name it he did it, and at half the cost and time.
aw. :frown: Better luck next year, Cyrus.

he's pretty freakin' amazing. Didn't he get his PhD at 21 from Princeton?
He started teaching at UCLA when he was 24, and he's seems to be perfectly normal, and thus I conclude that I have a brain of a gorilla. He's not the freaky, delusional type, just breezes through everything.

GCT said:
He's not the freaky, delusional type, just breezes through everything.
That's freakier!

GCT said:
He started teaching at UCLA when he was 24, and he's seems to be perfectly normal, and thus I conclude that I have a brain of a gorilla. He's not the freaky, delusional type, just breezes through everything.
There's an article about him in the "UCLA Today" paper that I just got around to reading. He wasn't 21 when he got his PhD. He was 20. That same year he joined UCLA's faculty. At 24, he became a full professor.

He seems pretty nonchalant about all the accolades he's been getting.

"The problems I've been working on haven't miraculously gone away or solved themselves," said Tao, "and I still pick up my son from preschool."

Kelly Dorgan is kinda cute for a worm-herder.

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/80d15f1a587ad010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd/6.html

turbo-1 said:
Kelly Dogan is kinda cute for a worm-herder.

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/80d15f1a587ad010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd/6.html
She is cute! :smile:

I just came across something interesting about Jarvis - apparently he almost became a dancer instead of a scientist.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3214/03-jarv-nf.html

1. What is "The Brilliant 10: 2 from UCLA"?

"The Brilliant 10: 2 from UCLA" is an annual list compiled by Popular Science magazine that highlights 10 young scientists who are making groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in their respective fields. This specific list features two scientists from UCLA who have been recognized for their exceptional research and contributions to the scientific community.

2. Who are the two scientists from UCLA on "The Brilliant 10" list?

The two scientists from UCLA on "The Brilliant 10" list are Dr. Xiangfeng Duan and Dr. Sabrina Stierwalt. Dr. Duan is a professor of chemistry and biochemistry who specializes in nanomaterials and their applications in electronics and energy. Dr. Stierwalt is an astrophysicist who studies the formation and evolution of galaxies.

3. How are the scientists on "The Brilliant 10" list selected?

The scientists on "The Brilliant 10" list are selected through a rigorous process by the editorial team at Popular Science. They consider nominations from readers, top researchers, and experts in various fields, and also conduct their own research to discover new and exciting talent in the scientific community.

4. What makes the scientists on "The Brilliant 10" list stand out?

The scientists on "The Brilliant 10" list stand out for their innovative research, exceptional accomplishments, and potential to make a significant impact in their fields. They are also chosen for their ability to communicate complex scientific concepts in a way that is engaging and accessible to the general public.

5. How does being on "The Brilliant 10" list benefit the scientists?

Being on "The Brilliant 10" list can provide many benefits for the scientists, including increased recognition and visibility for their research, access to new funding opportunities, and the opportunity to collaborate with other brilliant minds in their field. It can also help them to inspire and educate the public about the importance and excitement of scientific research.