Why do I never see anything made out of a lithium compound?

• Thread starter Little Dump
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lithium
In summary, according to the professor, lithium is a compound that is similar to sodium in terms of its properties. It does not occur naturally, but has many practical uses.
Little Dump
I was in chemistry class today and I wasn't really paying much attention because its all quite simple stuff we're doing (systems in equilibrium) and my professor mentioned a Lithium compound that got me thinking.

Why do I never see anything made out of a lithium compound?

Its directly above sodium on the table and is atomic number 3 so arent its properties similar to that of sodium?

Does it not occur in nature anywhere?

Does it have any practical uses?

To me lithium is the strangest element. Its #3 and we never deal with it.

Its probably my favourite element followed by Tungsten, Uranium, Plutonium, Titanium, Chromium, Mercury

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Both lithium metal and its compounds have many uses.

lithium stearate is mixed with oils to make all-purpose and high-temperature lubricants
lithium hydroxide is used to absorb carbon dioxide in space vehicles
lithium is alloyed with aluminium, copper, manganese, and cadmium to make high performance alloys for aircraft
Bahnmetall consists of lead containing 0.04% lithium, 0.7% calcium and 0.6% sodium is harder than pure lead and was used for railroad car bearings in Germany.
compounds such as LiAlH4 and organolithium reagents (LiMe, LiPh, etc.) are very important as reagents in organic chemistry
lithium metal has the highest specific heat of any solid element and so heat transfer applications
various nuclear applications
lithium is sometimes used as battery anode material (high electrochemical potential) and lithium compounds are used in dry cells and storage batteries
lithium is used in the manufacture of special high strength glasses and ceramics
sometimes, lithium-based compounds such as lithium carbonate (Li2CO3) are used as drugs to treat manic-depressive disorders

Taken from Web Elements

Last edited:
Hey used in batteries of mobile/cellular phones

re

and of course dilithuim does not exist - crystals

however if i remmber in theory dlithuim either exists in theory or we have found it or at last in theory there is not reason why it should not exist in the gas phase... i think to do with molecular obital theory?

o been so long

1. Why is lithium used in so many compounds?

Lithium is a highly reactive element with a small atomic size, making it ideal for bonding with other elements to form compounds. Additionally, it has a low density and is relatively inexpensive, making it a popular choice for various industries such as batteries, ceramics, and pharmaceuticals.

2. Why are lithium compounds not commonly seen in everyday products?

While lithium compounds are used in many industrial applications, they are not commonly seen in everyday products because they are highly reactive and can be dangerous if mishandled. As a result, they are more commonly used in controlled environments, such as in batteries or pharmaceuticals.

3. Are there any health concerns associated with lithium compounds?

Yes, there are potential health concerns associated with lithium compounds. Prolonged exposure to high levels of lithium can cause adverse effects on the nervous system, while ingestion of large amounts can be toxic. However, when used properly and in controlled environments, the risks are minimal.

4. Can lithium compounds be recycled?

Yes, lithium compounds can be recycled. In fact, recycling lithium batteries is becoming more common as it helps reduce environmental impact and conserves valuable resources. The process involves breaking down the materials and extracting the lithium, which can then be reused in new batteries or other products.

5. What are some common lithium compounds used in everyday products?

Some common lithium compounds used in everyday products include lithium carbonate, which is used in pharmaceuticals for the treatment of bipolar disorder, and lithium hydroxide, which is used in batteries and as a catalyst in chemical reactions. Lithium chloride is also used in air conditioning and dehumidifying systems.