So I've been wanting to get an REU for the summer

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of applying for an REU program for the summer. The individual was concerned about the approaching application deadline and expressed interest in applying to Wayne State's Smart Sensors and Integrated Microsystems lab. They also discussed the importance of a personal statement and the potential value of the REU experience. The individual then announced that they had successfully secured a position at Wayne State for wide bandgap semiconductor research, and that they do not currently attend Wayne State.
leright
So I've been wanting to get an REU for the summer...

and have it constantly in the back of my mind that I need to apply but I haven't had much time since I have been swamped lately with school work. The applications are due around February. If I send out applications in the next couple weeks do I still stand a fighting chance at getting a position?

I am applying to Wayne State's Smart Sensors and Integrated Microsystems lab.

I also have no idea how to write a personal statement for this type of thing. What points should I address?

Physics news on Phys.org
A personal statement is used to hopefully convey a message more personal (duh) than a resume or recommendations. For an REU program I would probably do half of it about what got you interested in physics and what currently interests you in physics. The other half I would explain how having this REU experience will be beneficial to you in the future.

When it comes to the deadlines, you should definitely be sending them in soon. What you'll probably have to worry about the most is getting your professors to send in the recommendation letters on time. If you haven't done it yet you need to ask some of your professors if they could write one for you. Giving them plenty of time is important because they're busy people too.

Good luck!

And one other thing - an REU has the potential to be one of the most valuable parts of your education! Even if things don't go as you expect - in fact, especially if they don't - you need to pay attention, because this may be your first exposure to physics.

My REU experience was more valuable than every other class I took combined.

Well, I got the Wayne State SSIM position. They will have the funding to keep me on board this semester, all through the summer, and all through the following fall. I will be doing wide bandgap semiconductor research. The professor running the lab said I will publish and learn a ton. :)

Last edited:
Congrats :) Do you go to Wayne currently? Be sure to go to some Tigers games during the summer!

im praying i get into a Mathematics REU!

Mororvia said:
Congrats :) Do you go to Wayne currently? Be sure to go to some Tigers games during the summer!

Nope, I don't go to Wayne. I go to Lawrence Tech. www.ltu.edu

1. What is an REU?

An REU stands for Research Experience for Undergraduates. It is a summer research program funded by the National Science Foundation that allows undergraduate students to gain hands-on research experience at a university or research institution.

2. How do I find REU opportunities?

You can search for REU programs on the National Science Foundation website or on university websites. You can also ask your professors or academic advisors for recommendations and advice.

3. What are the benefits of participating in an REU?

Participating in an REU can provide you with valuable research experience, exposure to cutting-edge research, and networking opportunities with other students and researchers. It can also enhance your resume and help you decide if a career in research is right for you.

4. Is an REU only for science majors?

No, REU programs are open to students from all majors, including social sciences, humanities, and engineering. However, some programs may have specific requirements or preferences for certain majors.

5. How competitive is the application process for REUs?

The application process for REUs can be highly competitive, as there are usually more applicants than available positions. It is important to have a strong academic record, relevant experience, and a well-written application to increase your chances of being accepted.