What are some strong and fast working oxidizers I can find at a hardware store?

• Thread starter ShawnD
  • Start date
In summary, bleach is not a strong enough oxidizer to break down copper. Common chemicals that are strong and fast working oxidizers include ammonium nitrate, nitrate of potash, and nitrate of soda.
ShawnD
Science Advisor
I need a strong oxidizer to break down some copper but I don't have access to anything that would be restricted to a chem lab (such as concentrated nitric acid). Are there any common chemicals I could buy from a hardware store that are very strong and fast working oxidizers? Even just a concentrated source of nitrate would be good; I have lots of hydrochloric acid I could add to it.

Don't say bleach. At only 5.25% sodium hypochlorite, it's very slow and quite expensive for how much one really gets (it's mostly just water).

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Instant cold packs contain ammonium nitrate.

Fertilizers also contain NH4NO3, something like 13-0-0 if my memory is correct. KNO3 is also found in fertilizers, something like 46-0-13, it's also used in stump removers. Maybe H2SO4 would be useful here, most drain cleaners contain it (look for the ones in plastic wrapping), the one I bought is 98%, good oxidizer. KMnO4 is also useful, although I'm not sure where you might find this one (I've had a bit of trouble locating it). People say you can find it in small quantities at the pharmacy. People also claim it's a useful anti-bacterial agent used in pond treatment, check the pet store?

H2O2 will also be a useful oxidizer. Maybe not in the concentration at most stores but you can purify it by freezing it and seperating the frozen water from the slurry concentrated H2O2, this will probably suffice as a strong oxidizer. Not speaking from experience here, but I've read some stuff on it.

HCl will reduce nitrates to HNO3? I always thought sulphuric was the only acid strong enough to do this, I guess it depends on the concentration. How concentrated is it?

Last edited:
Originally posted by thunderfvck
HCl will reduce nitrates to HNO3? I always thought sulphuric was the only acid strong enough to do this, I guess it depends on the concentration. How concentrated is it?

It's not about trying to make HNO3 as a solid or gas or whatever that is, it's about getting those ions together.
Have a look at this table http://myfiles.dyndns.org/pictures/redox.png

[tex]2NO_3^- + 4H^+ + 2e^- ---> N_2O_4 + 2H_2O ------- +0.80v[/tex]

nitrate + acid = strong oxidizer. Bleach (OCL-) is right above that reaction with +0.84v

Maybe H2SO4 would be useful here
For most metals it would be, but not for copper. For copper to oxidize, the oxidizer must have an electrical potential of +0.34v or greater. H2SO4 only has a potential of +0.17v.

About that fertilizer... Would it be safe to add hydrochloric acid to fertilizer? There's a lot of weird chemicals in that and I really don't want to end up dead.
I'll try looking for that KMnO4. When mixed with acid that is one heck of an oxidizer.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need the crystalline fertilizers.
Commonly sold as nitrate of potash (KNO3), nitrate of soda (NaNO3). I have never personally found any but I have yet to go to a garden supplier store.
You will probably find this link very useful if you are concerned with the purity of your KNO3.

http://krimzonpyro.com/ep/projectsdevicesdir/kno3.html

KMnO4

I saw KMnO4 not too long ago in a Sears. Check their water softeners section. I remember that caught my eye.

REALLY.

You wouldn't happen to know any other details about this?

I just know that it is Kenmore brand. I've never purchased any so I don't know about the purity or other such properties, but here's a link showing they've got it: http://www.kenmorewater.com/productlist/maintenance-accessories/34415-34417.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Sexcellent. Guess who'll be going to Sears tomorrow?! And to Kramer's, the garden store. OH YEAH. Gotta love the sabbath. PRAISE JESUS!

What is an oxidizer and why is it important in scientific research?

An oxidizer is a chemical compound that has the ability to cause or initiate oxidation reactions. It is important in scientific research because it can be used to study the properties and behaviors of various substances, as well as to create and control chemical reactions.

What are some common examples of strong oxidizers?

Some common examples of strong oxidizers include hydrogen peroxide, potassium permanganate, and nitric acid. Other examples include ozone, chlorine, and fluorine compounds.

How do strong oxidizers work?

Strong oxidizers work by removing electrons from other substances, causing them to undergo oxidation. This process can result in the release of energy and the formation of new chemical compounds.

What are the potential hazards of using strong oxidizers?

Strong oxidizers can be highly reactive and can cause severe burns or damage to skin, eyes, and respiratory tract if mishandled. They can also react violently with other substances, leading to explosions or fires. Proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and handling with care, should be taken when working with strong oxidizers.

What factors should be considered when choosing a strong oxidizer for a specific experiment?

Some factors to consider when choosing a strong oxidizer for a specific experiment include its reactivity, stability, and compatibility with other substances. The intended purpose of the experiment and any potential hazards should also be taken into account. It is important to carefully research and follow the appropriate guidelines and safety protocols when selecting and handling strong oxidizers.