How Does Current Flow Affect Entropy in a Resistor and the Universe?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the entropy change of a 50 ohm resistor carrying a current of 250 mA for 30 seconds while maintained at a constant temperature of 303K by thermal contact with a heat sink. The equation used is dS = \int \frac{I^2R}{T}dt with limits 0 and 3, resulting in an entropy change of 0.031 J/kg for the resistor. The entropy change of the universe would be the negative of this value.
Brewer

Homework Statement

A 50 ohm resistor carries a current of 250 mA and is maintained at a constant temperature of 303K by thermal contact with a heat sink.

Calculate the entopy change of

i) the resistor, and
ii) the universe,

if the current flows for 30 seconds.

Homework Equations

dS >= 0?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to attempt this question for a physical problem. Up until now I've been restricted to doing questions of this type based upon ideal gases, so I'm not sure how I would apply that to a physical system like this. Any hints anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Right, I've had another look at this.

I've said that dQ=dW and that work = power * time, so dW = Pdt = I*I*R*dt

From here I've substituted this into the equation [tex]dS = \int \frac{I^2R}{T}dt[/tex] with limits 0 and 3.

Following this through I get an answer of 0.031 J/kg. Does this sound about right? Then for the entropy change of the universe it'll be just the negative of this answer?

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of entropy and how it applies to physical systems. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system and is related to the amount of energy that is unavailable for work. In this case, the resistor is a physical system that is connected to a heat sink, which means that there is a transfer of energy (in the form of heat) between the two systems.

To calculate the entropy change of the resistor, we can use the formula dS = dq/T, where dq is the amount of heat transferred and T is the temperature. In this case, we know that the resistor is maintained at a constant temperature of 303K and there is a current of 250 mA flowing through it for 30 seconds. This means that the amount of heat transferred is given by dq = I^2Rdt, where I is the current, R is the resistance, and dt is the time. Plugging in the values, we get dq = (0.25A)^2 * 50ohm * 30s = 0.375 J.

Substituting this into the formula, we get dS = 0.375 J / 303K = 0.0012 J/K. This is the change in entropy of the resistor due to the flow of current for 30 seconds.

To calculate the entropy change of the universe, we need to consider the entire system, which includes the resistor, the heat sink, and the surroundings. In this case, the heat sink is maintained at a constant temperature, so there is no change in its entropy. However, the surroundings will experience a change in entropy due to the transfer of heat from the resistor. Using the same formula as before, we can calculate the change in entropy of the surroundings, which will be equal and opposite to the change in entropy of the resistor.

Therefore, the change in entropy of the universe will be zero, as the increase in entropy of the surroundings will cancel out the decrease in entropy of the resistor. This is in line with the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of an isolated system (such as the universe) will always increase or remain constant.

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a physical quantity that measures the level of disorder or randomness in a system. It is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and is often referred to as the measure of a system's "disorder."

2. How is entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system will always tend to increase over time. This means that the level of disorder or randomness in a system will naturally increase over time, unless an external force is applied to decrease it.

3. Can entropy be reversed?

In general, entropy cannot be reversed. As stated by the second law of thermodynamics, the natural tendency of a system is to increase in entropy. However, in certain circumstances, such as in a refrigeration system or a living organism, external energy can be used to decrease the entropy of a system.

4. How is entropy calculated?

Entropy is calculated using the formula S = kB ln W, where S represents the entropy, kB is the Boltzmann constant, and W is the number of possible microstates of a system. This formula is based on the statistical definition of entropy, which relates it to the number of ways a system can be arranged at a microscopic level.

5. What are some real-world examples of entropy?

Examples of entropy in everyday life include the melting of ice cubes, the mixing of different colored paints, and the spreading of heat throughout a room. In all of these cases, the system starts in an ordered state and gradually becomes more disordered over time, as energy is transferred and the particles become more randomly arranged.