Canonical Bose-Einstein statistics

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding an expression for the canonical ensemble when deriving Bose-Einstein statistics using the grand canonical partition function. The speaker presents their own derivation and questions why the chemical potential does not disappear. They also mention the popularity of researching Bose-Einstein condensates but the lack of curiosity about this issue. The notation (1-e^x)^{\pm} is explained to represent either "a" or "1/a" in the standard notation for Fermi-Dirac or Bose-Einstein statistics.
quetzalcoatl9
I've been curious as to why Bose-Einstein statistics are always derived using the grand canonical partition function. Yes, I know it is easier, but there must also be an expression for the canonical ensemble. However, I was suprised that I have been unable to find it in the standard sources - so here is my own (troubled) derivation.

I start with the grand canonical partition function:

[tex]\sum^{0,1,..,M}_{\{n_k\}} \prod^{\infinty}_{k=1} e^{-\beta\left(\epsilon_k - \mu\right) n_k[/tex]

where M is 1 for FD and M is infinity for BE stats.

I now impose the constraint of [tex]N=\sum_k n_k[/tex] and wind up with:

[tex]\lambda^{N} \prod_{k=1}^{\infinty} \left(1 - e^{-\beta \epsilon_k} \right)^{\pm} = Z_{BE}^{FD}[/tex]

why didn't the chemical potential go away? I was expecting to get the same expression, but without any lambda term out in front.

Any ideas? Anyone at least KNOW what the canonical expression IS (so that I can compare my answer)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
everyone and his brother seem to be researching BE condensates these days, and yet no one is the least bit curious about this?

don't understand your notation
[tex](1-e^x)^{\pm}[/tex]?
what is to the power of +/-? as you know, you get either (1-e^x) or (1+e^x)

mjsd said:
don't understand your notation
[tex](1-e^x)^{\pm}[/tex]?
what is to the power of +/-? as you know, you get either (1-e^x) or (1+e^x)

no...it means you get "a" or "1/a"...

this is the standard way of writing Fermi-Dirac or Bose-Einstein statistics as combined in one expression, the notation isn't mine...

1. What are Canonical Bose-Einstein statistics?

Canonical Bose-Einstein statistics is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of a large number of identical particles, such as bosons, in a system. It provides a way to calculate the probability of finding a certain number of particles in a given energy state.

2. How is it different from other statistical models?

Canonical Bose-Einstein statistics is unique in that it takes into account the quantum mechanical nature of particles, specifically the fact that bosons are indistinguishable and can occupy the same energy state simultaneously. This results in different statistical behavior compared to classical and Fermi-Dirac statistics.

3. What are some applications of Canonical Bose-Einstein statistics?

This statistical model has various applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and condensed matter physics. It is commonly used to study phenomena such as Bose-Einstein condensation and superfluidity.

4. How is it related to the Bose-Einstein distribution?

The Bose-Einstein distribution is the probability distribution function used in Canonical Bose-Einstein statistics. It describes the distribution of particles among different energy states and is derived from the principles of quantum mechanics.

5. What are some limitations of Canonical Bose-Einstein statistics?

One limitation is that it only applies to systems of non-interacting particles, meaning that the particles do not interact with each other. In real-world scenarios, particles often interact, making this model less accurate. Additionally, it does not take into account relativistic effects, so it is not applicable in high-energy scenarios.