Solve Integration Problem: \int_{1}^{2}(\frac{2}{2x+1})^3 dx

• Thread starter disregardthat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses using substitution to solve the integral \int_{1}^{2}(\frac{2}{2x+1})^3 dx. The correct setup is to use u=2x+1 and du=2dx, resulting in the integral 2^3\int_{1}^{2}\frac{1}{u^3} du. The du substitution is necessary and the du term is removed once the integral is solved.
disregardthat
Science Advisor

Homework Statement

[tex]\int_{1}^{2}(\frac{2}{2x+1})^3 dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

Normal integral equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int_{1}^{2}(\frac{2}{2x+1})^3 dx = 2^3\int_{1}^{2}\frac{1}{(2x+1)^3} dx[/tex]

u=2x+1

[tex]2^3\int_{1}^{2}\frac{1}{u^3} dx = 2^3\int_{1}^{2}u^{-3} dx[/tex]

Antiderivate of [tex]u^{-3} = \frac{u^{-3+1}}{-3+1} = \frac{u^{-2}}{-2}= \frac{1}{-2u^2}[/tex]

Plotting the real u in: [tex]\frac{1}{-2(2x+1)^2}[/tex]

[tex]2^3\int_{1}^{2}\frac{1}{-2(2x+1)^2} = 2^3\left(\frac{1}{-2(2x+1)^2}\right)_1^2 =2^3\left(\frac{1}{-2(2 \cdot 2+1)^2}\right) - 2^3\left(\frac{1}{-2(2 \cdot 1+1)^2}\right) = \left(\frac{2^3}{-50}\right) - \left(\frac{2^3}{-18}\right)[/tex]

[tex] = \left(\frac{72}{-450}\right) - \left(\frac{200}{-450}\right) = \left(\frac{72-200}{-450}\right) = \left(\frac{-128}{-450}\right) = \frac{128}{450} = \frac{64}{225}[/tex]

This gives about: 0.284444...

When I type this function on the calculator, the area between x=1 and x=2 is 0.1422222...

That is half of my answer, what have I done wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
u=2x+1
du=2dx
you need u du not u dx up there in your substitution.
So you have to divide by 2 outside the integral.

Last edited:
I see, I have to divide by two.

But i did not understand why.

EDIT: I mean, how do you find du?

Last edited:
Hey,
It's just the derivative of 2x+1 with respect to x, which is 2 dx. You always need to find du when you use the u substitution.

All right.
So how am I to set it up then?

[tex]\int_{1}^{2}(\frac{2}{2x+1})^3 dx =[/tex]

Any of these?

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}2^3\int_{1}^{2}\frac{1}{(u)^3} dx[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2^3}{du}\int_{1}^{2}\frac{1}{(u)^3} dx[/tex]

Do you have an example of an solution to a task like this? I want to know how you should set up the solution so I see what is really going on.

Last edited:
Hi,
[tex]\int_{1}^{2}(\frac{2}{2x+1})^3 dx = 2^3\int_{1}^{2}\frac{1}{(2x+1)^3} dx[/tex]

u=2x+1
du=2dx

[tex]\frac{2^3}{2}\int_{1}^{2}\frac{1}{u^3} du = \frac{2^3}{2}\int_{1}^{2}u^{-3} du[/tex]

You just have to make sure that you've got [tex] u du[/tex] not [tex]u dx[/tex]. The derivative of the u=2x+1 has to be included. You don't want an extra 2 in there, so you just divide it out. That's all. You integrated this perfectly, just missed the du substitution.
Hope this helps.
CC

Last edited:
or maybe more clear
u=2x+1
du=2dx
[tex]\frac{1}{2}du=dx[/tex]
then factor out the 1/2.

Oh, right. So when I now have the du after the u^-3 then I just antiderivate just like before right?
the du in the end doesn't have any meaning to how I am supposed to antiderivate the function, right? Without of course the division of 2^3.

Uhm, I mean:

When you have a function, and use substition, you have to find the derivative of the substibtution and then divide the function with it, (it is enough to divide the 2^3) and then just antiderivate as before, only with a du instead of dx. Is that correct?

And should the du at the end stand there until i have antiderivated u or when i put 2x+1 back again?

Last edited:
Jarle said:
When you have a function, and use substition, you have to find the derivative of the substibtution and then divide the function with it, (it is enough to divide the 2^3) and then just antiderivate as before, only with a du instead of dx. Is that correct?
Correct. When you integrate, the du goes away. Then you put back in your u, just as you did.

All right, thanks for your help

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical operation that involves finding the area under a curve. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to find the original function when the derivative is known.

What is the process for solving integration problems?

The process for solving integration problems involves first identifying the type of integral, then using integration rules and techniques to rewrite the integral in a simpler form. This is followed by evaluating the integral by using the fundamental theorem of calculus or by using numerical methods.

What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that integration and differentiation are inverse operations. It can be used to evaluate definite integrals by finding the antiderivative of the function and plugging in the limits of integration.

How can I identify the type of integral?

There are several types of integrals, including definite, indefinite, improper, and line integrals. To identify the type of integral, look at the limits of integration, the presence of variables, and the type of function being integrated.

How can I solve the integration problem \int_{1}^{2}(\frac{2}{2x+1})^3 dx?

To solve this integration problem, first rewrite the integral using substitution, u = 2x+1. This will result in an integral in the form of \int_{3}^{5} u^3 du. Then, use the power rule for integration to find the antiderivative, which is \frac{1}{4}u^4. Finally, substitute back in the original variable and evaluate the integral from the given limits of integration.