What is an extension in a statics problem?

• Thread starter philipc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary: The problem is kind of long(about a page long), hopefully I will be giving a enough info on my problem. Here goes...You have a pin jointed framework and all the members are connected to the wall and connected together at point A. We have two external forces, one going towards pt A and anther pointing downward from pt A. We want to find the movement of point when the forced are applied.The only other time the word extension is use is in this sentence. In summary, the problem asks you to find the distances, extensions, and tensions for a pin-jointed framework containing x number of pins.
philipc
I've yet to taken a statics class yet, only physics one, but I'm having a hard time trying to define what an extension is on one of my home work problems.
The problem is kind of long(about a page long), hopefully I will be giving a enough info on my problem. Here goes

You have a pin jointed framework and all the members are connected to the wall and connected together at point A. We have two external forces, one going towards pt A and anther pointing downward from pt A. We want to find the movement of point when the forced are applied.

I'm to write a program that solves the problem, but I'm not sure what "extension" is? I've been given a formula for it, e = -d1*cos(@) + d2sin(@)

Philip

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't tell what you're referring to without a context.

At least give the full sentence in which "extension" appears.

I just re-read the problem, and the word "extensions" is not really used in a complete sentence, but I found another formula for it, e1 = k1*T1 where k is called the flexibility of the member and T is the tension on the member. Here is a little more detail about the framework, it helps? With this kind of joint there is no tendency to bend the member, and the only forces that are present are tensile or compressive forces in the members. It is assumed that the weights of the members are negligible and the lengths of the members are such that if the external forces F1 and F2 are zero, there are no stresses in the members.

The only other time the word extension is use is in this sentence.
"In this project you are to develop a Matlab script that will determine the distances, extensions and tensions for such a pin-jointed framework containing x number of pins"

Philip

I'm not sure, but isn't that just referring to lengthwise stretching of the members?

1. What is the difference between a static and an extension method?

A static method is a method that is associated with a specific class and can be called without creating an instance of that class. An extension method, on the other hand, is a method that extends the functionality of an existing class without modifying its source code. Extension methods are invoked as if they were instance methods of the extended class.

2. How do I declare and use a static method?

To declare a static method, use the "static" keyword before the method's return type. Static methods can be accessed using the class name followed by the dot operator, without creating an instance of the class. For example: ClassName.StaticMethodName();

3. Can extension methods be defined in any class?

Yes, extension methods can be defined in any static class. The class must be static to hold extension methods because extension methods are also static. Additionally, the class must be in the same namespace as the class that is being extended.

4. What is the purpose of using static and extension methods?

Static methods are useful for creating utility methods that do not require an object instance to be called. Extension methods allow us to add new functionality to existing classes without modifying their source code. This makes it easier to extend and maintain existing codebases without breaking functionality.

5. Can I override a static or extension method?

No, static and extension methods cannot be overridden. Static methods are associated with a specific class and cannot be inherited, while extension methods are always considered to be static. If you need to change the functionality of a static or extension method, you can create a new method with a different name and call it instead.