What are the key factors to consider in the preparation of bromine gas?

• Thread starter jamesyboy1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the conversation is about a lab assignment involving the preparation of bromine gas and the need for information on the nature of the reaction, bonding, energy, entropy, number of particles, rate of reaction, and acidic/basic/redox properties. The reaction equation given is 2KBr + MnO2 + 2H2SO4 --> K2SO4 + MnSO4 + 2H2O + Br2 (gas). The person is seeking help in finding information on the reaction and asking for guidance on determining the oxidation states, enthalpy, and pH changes during the reaction. They also mention needing assistance with measuring the rate of reaction in the lab.
jamesyboy1990

Homework Statement

Ok hi. I have this reaction for a lab due in about 2 weeks. It is on the preperation of bromine gas. The exact reaction was assigned (which is why i didn't choose a less-complex method, such as 2KBr + Cl2 --> 2KCl + Br2). My problem is that i need information (ie. internet websites, textbooks) becasue i need to have information such as:

- nature of reaction (atomic/molecular)
- bonding (intermolecular/intramolecular)
- energy (endo/exothermic)
- entropy (chaos)
- number of particles before and after, state of particle, complexity of part
- rate of reaction (actually, that's what my lab will be about)
- acidic/basic/redox

Homework Equations

2KBr + MnO2 + 2H2SO4 --> K2SO4 + MnSO4 + 2H2O + Br2 (gas)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have looked through numerous textbooks at the public library and websites and haven't found any information on this reaction. If anyone has informaiton on this reaction, that would be very helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
oh yeah, and since this is my first time ever participating in this forum, please tell me if I'm missing anything

You have a good start already. In what oxidation state are bromide and manganese oxide. How about manganese sulfate and bromine gas? Is anything being oxidized or reduced? Can you calculate the enthalpy of the reaction? Will the pH change during the reaction?

You probably know these answers already from your coursework. How will you measure the rate of reaction in the lab?

1. What is the purpose of preparing bromine gas?

The purpose of preparing bromine gas is to use it in various chemical reactions and experiments in the laboratory. It is also commonly used in industrial processes, such as the production of pesticides and dyes.

2. How is bromine gas prepared?

Bromine gas is typically prepared by reacting hydrobromic acid with an oxidizing agent, such as chlorine or potassium permanganate. The reaction produces hydrogen bromide gas, which is then heated to form bromine gas.

3. What are the properties of bromine gas?

Bromine gas is a reddish-brown gas with a pungent odor. It is highly reactive and can be toxic in high concentrations. It is soluble in water and readily reacts with organic compounds.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when preparing bromine gas?

When preparing bromine gas, it is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat. The reaction should be carried out in a fume hood to prevent exposure to the toxic gas. It is also important to carefully handle and store bromine gas, as it is corrosive and can cause skin and eye irritation.

5. Can bromine gas be stored for future use?

Yes, bromine gas can be stored for future use. It is typically stored in steel cylinders or glass ampoules, which are sealed to prevent the gas from escaping. However, great care must be taken when handling and storing bromine gas, as it is highly reactive and can be dangerous if not handled properly.

Back