How Does a Three-Phase AC Generator Create Voltages?

The first link shows a nice animation of a three-phase AC generator and explains how the three phases are created. The second link gives a recommendation for a book that covers polyphase generation and the third link shows animations of electric motors and generators. In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with visualizing a three-phase AC generator and a request for helpful animations or resources. A recommendation for a book and links to animations of three-phase AC generators and electric motors and generators are provided.
scothoward
Although I am comfortable with three-phase circuits in general, visualizing the three-phase AC generator is giving me some problems. I understand that windings are placed 120 degrees apart, but that's about it. Would anyone happen to have a good animation/picture of a three-phase AC generator showing the creation of the three-phase voltages?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Although not an animation, an excellent book source that describes polyphase generation (and then some) is titled:
Delmars Standard Textbook of Electricity by S. Herman

I think these are excellent animations from http://www.animations.physics.unsw.edu.au/" .

http://www.animations.physics.unsw.edu.au/jw/AC.html"

"[URL motors and generators
[/URL]

Edit: oops. I didn't realize this thread is three years old. Anyway, good animations.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Three-Phase AC Generator?

A Three-Phase AC Generator is a type of electrical generator that uses three alternating currents to produce electricity. It is commonly used in power plants to generate electricity for large-scale distribution.

2. How does a Three-Phase AC Generator work?

A Three-Phase AC Generator works by rotating a magnetic field within a set of stationary coils, also known as stator windings. This rotation induces an alternating current in the coils, which is then converted into usable electricity.

3. What are the advantages of a Three-Phase AC Generator?

Some of the advantages of a Three-Phase AC Generator include its ability to provide a more stable and efficient supply of electricity, as well as its ability to handle higher power loads compared to single-phase generators.

4. What are the differences between a Three-Phase AC Generator and a single-phase generator?

The main difference between a Three-Phase AC Generator and a single-phase generator is the number of alternating currents that are produced. While a single-phase generator only produces one alternating current, a Three-Phase AC Generator produces three, which results in a more balanced and efficient supply of electricity.

5. How is a Three-Phase AC Generator used in industry?

A Three-Phase AC Generator is commonly used in industrial settings for powering large motors and machinery, as well as for providing electricity to entire factories or buildings. It is also used in power plants to generate electricity for cities and communities.